New Apple iSight Replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by afd, Aug 24, 2007.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

Does anyone think Apple will bring out another iSight? I have been looking for one on eBay to use with my PB and G5 iMac, but they seem to be going for silly money, about 30% more than Apple were selling them. One went yesterday for £99.99 (including postage). That one didn't come with any of the brackets, and the iSight accessory kit with the brackets is very hard to find now.

I know that I could use a much cheaper USB camera, I do have an old Philips camera that I use, but would much prefer an Apple firewire camera, especially as Macs with too many USB points are pretty thin on the ground...

So will Apple produce a new iSight, or will they introduce displays with iSights built in? That would be a pity as I am sure there are plenty like me with an older Mac or current Mini that would prefer an external iSight.

2. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

iSight is a design Icon !

I have two Macs with built-in iSight but still have my external iSight, complete with all packaging, brackets, box, plastic wrap etc. I am planning on keeping it as such as I have used it occasionally for it works better in low light than the built-in iSight on my iMac and MacBook Pro.

Unless anyone has a serious offer for it I suppose ?!?!?!?

3. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I doubt Apple will make a external isight camera anymore. If anything they'll just built one into everything and call it a day.

The Stig

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Although that seems right, it's a bit odd. Between the mini, the pros, and now the apple tv, there seem to be a number of potential uses for it even in the current line.

5. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree, even IF Apple build a camera into their monitors the Mini is sold as BYOKM, so many will not be used with Apple monitors.
    Also being able to point the camera where you want can't be done with a built in camera.

6. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

use the xbox live vision camera..its cheap and the same resoulution as the isight and it works with photobooth

7. ebony macrumors regular

some of the Tesco stores in the uk, have isight cameras boxed and new for £100.

The one in bromborough, wirral has at least 4.

They also have the logitch quickcam fusion for £40 which is a good alternative.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This seems to be one of the best options for old system users (i.e. on my iBook that has a condenser mic)... but it doesn't have a microphone, does it? I guess you can just use the headset thingy or your bluetooth headset.

9. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Am in Glasgow, none of my local Tescos sell mac stuff, Fusion looks fine, but really would prefer a firewire camera. My USB hub is pretty full, I think that's another thing macs are lacking- enough USB ports.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's surprising that they have any left after so long. The iSight was discontinued quite a while ago and has become a collector's item since then.

11. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Buy them and put on eBay. You'd make £30 a time...