New Apple Keyboard + MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ghall, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, so I just got one of the new Apple keyboards for my new home setup (I'll post pics when I'm don setting everything up if anyone is interested). Anyway, I'm having some issues with the keyboard.

First thing, when I want to boot into Windows, I hold down the option key as the computer starts up, but the new keyboard won't work until Mac OS X is fully loaded. Similarly, it takes Windows XP a few minutes to recognize the keyboard.

Finally, I thought I read somewhere that the new Apple keyboards have USB 2.0 ports, but apparently this isn't true because when I plugged my iPhone in I got a message telling me there wasn't enough power going to the USB port.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

iPods and iPhones need more power than some USB 2.0 hubs can provide, including most USB 2.0 keyboards. You'll need a powered hub or to plug directly into your computer.

EDIT: BTW, I seem to recall there's actually an explicit notice with the new keyboard about not working with iPods/iPhones.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I am aware of that. For some reason, I thought the ports on the new keyboard were USB 2.0, but apparently I heard wrong.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

It's not an issue of USB 1.0/1.1 vs. USB 2.0. It's an issue of the amount of power to the ports. You can have USB 2.0 ports, like on the Mac keyboards, but not have enough power for iPods/iPhones. The keyboard ports are USB 2.0, just not powered enough for the iPods/iPhones.

EDIT: BTW, I believe the keyboards are capable of powering iPods/iPhones, but only when connected to the Aluminum iMacs. I don't think any of the other Macs provide enough power to the ports to use them that way.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Ah, I did not know that. Oh well, I have a USB hub I can use so it's not a big deal.

Any thoughts on my other issues?

6. Tracer macrumors 6502

Try plugging in an external-powered Hard Drive and see if the Ports will transfer @ USB 2.0 rates. Pretty sure they will.

The power issue is more of a nuisance than anything else. Obviously the ports were designed for mice.

Tracer

7. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

The not immediately recognizing is certainly odd. Not entirely sure why that would be...possibly it only sees the built-in keyboard while booting? Can you hold down that option key to get to Windows instead? I'm guessing if you have an external keyboard hooked up you might be using it with a monitor too and are just using the MBP as a CPU, so I'm assuming using its keyboard to hit option is a pain. But I'm not sure what you can do to get it recognized before OS X boots.

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Yes it works fine with the built in keyboard. I don't have a separate monitor (yet :D ) but when I get all set up my laptop is going to be on a stand so right now it's a pain, but when my setup is complete it will be. It's not a HUGE deal, but it would be nice to be able to use my external keyboard exclusively when I'm at my desk.

As for the Windows issue, should I just update drivers? I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

9. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I can understand the keyboard issue. I have similar issues with one of my current setups with a bluetooth keyboard in that I switch to a wired USB keyboard when I used BootCamp or to press the option key....

I'd definitely suggest updating the Windows drivers with BootCamp from the Leopard DVD if you haven't already. Since the keyboard is new, there's a decent chance that might help. Hell, even OS X needed software patches for them to work :)

10. ahand macrumors member

the usb ports will be full power if the keyboard is plugged into an aluminum imac

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

If you plugged the keyboard into a power USB 2.0 hub, would the ports on the keyboard have power enough to charge an iPod?

12. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Just tried with my iPhone plugged into my keyboard, keyboard into powered USB 2.0 hub, hub into Aluminum iMac, and I got a low power warning. So not with my powered hub, at least.