New Apple Keyboard question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by metallicaisgood, Dec 31, 2007.

1. metallicaisgood macrumors member

Is it true you cannot use ipods through the new Apple Keyboard on old iMacs? And if true why is this the case? Why would you need the newer iMac?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

High powered USB devices need to be charged by the Aluminium iMac's ports when using the keyboard.

3. metallicaisgood thread starter macrumors member

I'm asking about connecting devices through the keyboard for use not for charging.

bump, I would really like to know why high speed doesn't work on older macs.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A USB flash drive will work off of the USB hub.

Which older Mac?

5. metallicaisgood thread starter macrumors member

A white intel iMac, and I'm asking about like plugging an ipod into the keyboard to sync music to. Or maybe connecting a camera. I mean I could do these things but it would be extremely slow. On the new keyboard it advertises high speed usb ports but then says alum imacs only.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Please note that is says high power. This does not mean high speed (USB 2.0).

Attached Files:

7. metallicaisgood thread starter macrumors member

Okay but why do high powered devices only work through the new Aluminum iMac?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Non-standard USB ports that can provide additional bus power to the keyboard.

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have a white iMac and can't get anything to work through the aluminum keyboards USB ports, aside from my mouse. Not even flash drives will work.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've found that some flash drives do require more power then others. :confused:

The Sandisk flash drives I've used work fine but other ones want even more power.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I have an aluminum 24" iMac but shared your experiences until I realized that the key point of the Apple blurb about using high-powered devices "only when attached to the iMac" meant just that: plug directly into a USB port on the Mac itself and not a hub, powered or otherwise.

Once I did that I was able to use my iPod, thumb drives, etc with no problems.

I can't speak for the white iMac since I no longer own one. I don't know if just plugging the aluminum keyboard directly into a USB port on one of them will work the same or if it is specific to the new machines.