New Apple Keyboard????? What happened?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Masters512, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Masters512 macrumors member

Masters512

I thought that they would have released the new keyboard along side the Magic Mouse, but I guess I was wrong. When do you think they will release the new keyboard? I'm still trying to decide if I should get the current one or just hold out :(

Also, could it be that they are trying to get rid of all the (wireless) ones they currently have by including them standard with the new iMacs then release the new keyboards once iMac sales slow down?

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Instead of redesigning the keyboard, they just bumped the old wireless one to standard. While I am still happy with this, I really wish they would have designed a black key/backlit model.

3. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

They did release a new bluetooth keyboard. They got rid of one battery so you only need two batteries to operate it. Im pissed that apple didnt even include black keys with this update. I wanna buy a bluetooth keyboard before I go and buy myself a external display. Maybe someday they will listen but look how long it took them to fix the mighty mouse. Lloyd

4. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I dunno why there's no new keyboard, but I really like the design of the current one with the exception of the fact that the wirelsss one doesn't have a number pad on the right side, which is really the only reason I haven't picked one up yet. If they release a wireless keyboard WITH number pad, I'll be the first in line to nab one.

5. Masters512 thread starter macrumors member

Masters512

o i didnt notice that the wireless keyboard did get updated... :( guess ill pick one up now since black/illuminated keys is too much to ask for

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They DID release a new wireless keyboard, as Lloyd Christmas said.
    http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

7. brendu macrumors 68020

I was hoping for the same, black keyed backlight keyboard... picked up the other one on tuesday since they didnt. wondering if anyone has replaced the keys on it with those from a black macbook or new mbp?? im seriously considering attempting this if it will work.

basacally, will these keys be able to be switched out with the bluetooth keyboard?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Apple-MacBo..._Trackballs?hash=item19b62867d9#ht_2433wt_935

8. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

My roommate has a wireless keyboard, and it's awesome. It's tiny and it's perfect for putting in your lap, so I think I'm going to pick one up too...

Now, should I go through the refurb store and get a previous generation (three battery) for $59?

Or get a brand new, current gen model (two battery) for $69?

Is the new efficiency worth the $10?

9. dinojr macrumors member

I am still mystified by the need for a wireless KB.

The wired one needs no batteries and provides two USB ports too. Surely the best choice?

10. dsiew81 macrumors member

Surely your opinion is what everyone wants.

It's not exactly hard to plugin something at the back despite the little bit of extra fidgeting required. Some people care about clutter and wires, while others either don't or can manage them.

Imagine that -- someone actually wanting no cables!?!?! They MUST be crazy! *gasp*

In the meantime, here's a possible (but temporary) solution.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some may prefer wired, but I wanted a wireless keyboard and mouse even before they were invented. I hate wires! I look forward to the day that wires are unnecessary, even for power. Wires restrict placement and movement, they clutter the workspace and they look terrible. The keyboard battery life isn't an issue, since I typically get 4-5 months use from a set. I use one USB port for my mouse dongle and the other one is never used, so I don't need extras. My external drives all use Firewire 800.

12. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I plan on getting a wireless keyboard for the freedom of typing from anywhere. I'll be able to push my macbook and display back, and type with the keyboard on my lap. That way I'm not always hunched over my desk when I need to type.

13. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

I actually just went out to purchase the wired numeric keyboard. I was tetertottering on the logitech dinovo but my thinking was to go ahead and purchase one with the numeric keyboard specifically and then purchase the wireless 2nd gen non numeric keyboard when it comes out, including the Magic Mouse.

Hopefully I made the right decision, especially for the simple fact the Dinovo was far more feature full and wireless.

What do you guys think? Otherwise, I will return it.

14. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Besides being more power efficient, I've been told that the internals have been redesigned for better performance as well (i.e. signal strength).

15. Skika macrumors 68030

I would sure want a backlit keyboard from apple.

Its probably in development anyway.

16. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Maybe, and that would be really nice; however, battery life would definitely decrease quite a bit

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not likely to see a wireless backlit keyboard. It would reduce battery life too much.