New Apple Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nope7308, Jan 4, 2009.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Do you think Apple will revise its existing keyboard at Macworld '09 to include black chicklet keys? Apparently, Steve likes to streamline Apple products and this change would be in-line with new black keyboard found on the MB/MBP line... and backlit perhaps?

Presently, the the white keys are preventing me from buying a wireless keyboard - they just get filthy way too easily. Besides, a black keyboard would match nicely with my black v450 Nano Mouse and (potential) 24" Samsung display :D

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nope. I doubt it...
    I dunno why, just a feeling...

Why not buy the white wireless keyboard, shop around on ebay for a replacement black MacBook topcase?
    Then switch the keycaps. I think, you can easily change them over, the fitting is the same!

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've heard the chiclet keys don't react so well to being pulled off.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Depends how you reattach them, there's a wrong way and the correct way. One needs to be careful with the rubber nipple thing in the middle. If it's wonkey then it's gonna have some repercussions when it comes to usage. I took off the Keycaps on my wireless for cleaning... and it's working just fine!

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Well, I guess I heard from someone that did it wrong.

6. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Aside from wanting a black chicklet keyboard myself, I think it would just make sense for Apple to release one. I mean, it would streamline the MB/MBP line with the iMac/MP line (something Jobs is clearly keen on), and what better time to introduce it than now? With the desktop revisions and new displays, it only seems fitting that Apple should release a new keyboard and mouse (Lord knows they're overdue for one).

I know the odds are against it, but would you like to see a black version of the chicklet keyboard?

And in response to the suggestion, if I'm dropping $80 for a wireless keyboard, there is no way in hell that I'm replacing each individual key haha

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Highly doubt so. If Steve had cared about streamlining, when the aluminium imacs were released, they would have been released with a keyboard that had black keys. Instead, they went with white.

If he didn't care to coordinate the colors then, i don't see why he'll care now.

not wasting time on a keyboard, Apple is paying more attention into getting the computers streamlined into a single, identifiable line up.