Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Apple Laptop 'Confirmed' at Macworld San Francisco 2008?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A BoyGeniusReport claims that Apple promised new laptops to bands performing at a holiday event reportedly hosted by Apple:
Apple had a recent holiday event where they had artists perform (some really big names, too), and they all did it for free! Why did they perform without being paid? Apple promised to give every performer and band member once of the new laptops they are coming out with at MacWorld! That’s all, folks!
The sources of this report are questionable at best, and are not likely in a position of knowing what products are being revealed at Macworld.

Article Link

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
What utter-utter drivel. With all the 'rumors' already getting threads on the subject why another one based on such a nonsense story.

And the article link seems broke too.

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
KT Tunstall must be kicking herself now. All she got when she performed in September was an iPod Touch. :)

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I hope elevator pics are leaked soon... or it didn't happen. ;)

Furthermore, I hope these alleged laptops make teh Safari snappier.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Now what kind of laptop is it now...
Most likely, it's the new ultra-portable "thin" laptop that's been rumored for a couple of years. 64 gig HDD (flash) and no internal optical drive doesn't really appeal to me, but a lot of people want it and it will likely be a great addition to the category.

It might be a revamped MacBook/MacBook Pro lineup, but rumor has it the Intel chipset that supports mobile Penryn processors is delayed. Additionally, I'd question the need for revamping the laptop line. I suspect that given the pressing need for other Apple product line updates (Mac Pro, ACDs, iPhone, ultra-portable laptop, OS 10.5.2) that resources might be stretched a little thin, and especially that we've seen relatively recent upgrades (Santa Rosa, 2.6 coreDuo, LED backlighting, glossy screen).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Most likely, it's the new ultra-portable "thin" laptop that's been rumored for a couple of years. 64 gig HDD (flash) and no internal optical drive doesn't really appeal to me, but a lot of people want it and it will likely be a great addition to the category.

It might be a revamped MacBook/MacBook Pro lineup, but rumor has it the Intel chipset that supports mobile Penryn processors is delayed. Additionally, I'd question the need for revamping the laptop line. I suspect that given the pressing need for other Apple product line updates (Mac Pro, ACDs, iPhone, ultra-portable laptop, OS 10.5.2) that resources might be stretched a little thin, and especially that we've seen relatively recent upgrades (Santa Rosa, 2.6 coreDuo, LED backlighting, glossy screen).
But which laptop does this rumor confirm? :D

Do not speak his name here! ;)
It's not the first time.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
I think we have a new noun.

Dvorak (n): A vapid story concerning technology or technology companies, often highly speculative or weakly sourced, posted for the purpose of generating traffic to the poster's website.

I actually like the guy, but it fits. :p

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
too bad i used all my money on a lcd tv :(

i really think there is no denying that a new laptop will come out

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Sounds like cow manure and smells like it too.

Most performers would IMHO prefer a full capable laptop and can afford to buy one. I would think that they would prefer to work for cash instead of laptops.

How do you give 15% of a laptop to your agent?

Where these performers come from? A soup kitchen?
:eek:

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Sounds like cow manure and smells like it too.

Most performers would IMHO prefer a full capable laptop and can afford to buy one. I would think that they would prefer to work for cash instead of laptops.

How do you give 15% of a laptop to your agent?

Where these performers come from? A soup kitchen?
:eek:

Well you also get a closer relation to Apple this way.

Some people don't always think in dollars.

Manatee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
It's the update to the MacBook Pro, with the redesigned FW800 port that you'll be able to update to 3.2GBit at a later date. For $1.99. :)

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I've been following BGR for some time now, and they are pretty accurate. The sites main editor, is good friends with famous dj/music producer "Jus Blaze", who I'm pretty sure must have spinned at the party. They have hosted numerous events together, the last being the blackberry curve launch party. They have always been dead on with blackberry/handheld device rumors. Obviously it's completely different with apple, but then again, weren't we all expecting new notebooks at MW?

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
this is a VERY page 2 rumor. Why would Apple tell inside secrets to performers? Apple has the money to pay any performer they could ever want, so why would they change their business model for some unnamed performers and risk leaked info.
If it was some huge performer that would only play with some Apple-gear bribe, that news would have leaked. If it was a huge performer, they also can probably afford to buy this new machine when it comes out since they are not getting it till it (almost) ships anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.