New Apple MacBook on Tuesday? GMA X3100?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to sources, the wheels are in motion for Apple to deliver new MacBook updates as early as this Tuesday. While an exact date has been hard to determine, MacBook updates are expected within the next week, with evidence pointing to Tuesday.

This confirms previous rumors from ThinkSecret that Apple would introduce a new MacBook by "the first half of November". Sadly, few details on the upcoming machines are presently available.

Apple's Leopard update, however, has revealed drivers for the newer Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chip. This is the successor to the Intel GMA 950 which currently resides in the existing MacBooks. This would suggest that the next MacBook would see an upgrade to the Santa Rosa chipset. This, however, remains speculative. The driver, however, appears functional and works when used on a PC laptop with the X3100 chipset.

Article Link

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
really hopes this is true as I will be buying very very soon.

How reliable are these sources?, after all lots of people on here could say they are coming soon without actually knowing anything.

Comment

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Oh my!!! :) Is the GMA x3100 acceptable to everyone then? (I really want an aluminum with smaller bezel/footprint)..... please.

Comment

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Hope its true!

My iBook's HD just failed, and I broke the power connector while trying to replace it.

So I was about to buy a new macbook tomorrow, but now I will wait. I REALLY hope it comes out this Tuesday, or else I will feel terrible purchasing it on Wednesday, and the new one coming out a week later! I might just end up waiting till it is released, though...

Comment

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
just an upgrade to santa rosa, or do you all think it's going to be the complete case redesign many here have been talking about?

Comment

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
What's apple's policy with new purchases being made obsolete? Is it 8 days? 10? Anyone know definitively?

Comment

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I can't imagine they wouldn't have the new screens like the macbook pro - right?

Are we thinking this will just be a speed improvement? I'd think they'd wait till MacWorld to release a design change - right?

Comment

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
What's apple's policy with new purchases being made obsolete? Is it 8 days? 10? Anyone know definitively?
Well, there's a 14 day return policy, but I don't think they would forego the 10% restocking fee just because something newer came out.

You might be able to argue the case though, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, how would a current MacBook become "obsolete" when a newer model comes out? I mean, seriously?

-Zadillo

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm interested to see how Apple prices the new MacBook in Canada.

There's not going to be that much difference between the MB and MB Pro, should the Macbook get the anticipated upgrade ( apart from a huge price difference ).

Comment

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I'll buy at least one, to replace my wife's three year-old iBook. I might even buy another, to replace my year-old MacBook, depending on how significant of an update it is. :D

Comment

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Cool, but what I really want is a Macbook with a 15 inch screen, the current crop is too small for my eyes.

Comment

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Well, there's a 14 day return policy, but I don't think they would forego the 10% restocking fee just because something newer came out.

You might be able to argue the case though, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, how would a current MacBook become "obsolete" when a newer model comes out? I mean, seriously?

-Zadillo
I think obsolete was the wrong term.

But I'm qute positive Apple has a policy that permits free exchanges if your newly purchased mac is replaced within a certain period.

Comment

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I can't imagine they wouldn't have the new screens like the macbook pro - right?

Are we thinking this will just be a speed improvement? I'd think they'd wait till MacWorld to release a design change - right?
Well, I don't know. On one hand, LED-screens so far have still been seen primarily as a premium feature (a premium option on the Dell XPSM1330, or Sony's premium SZ and TZ models).

On the other hand, Apple had said when they first announced plans to switch to LED-backlit screens that their plan was to eventually use LED-backlit screens everywhere, so it seems to be only a matter of time before Apple switches the product line over entirely.

At this point the only issue I think with the iMac and 17" MBP is just that LED-backlighting isn't available in those sizes.

But 13.3" LED backlit screens are much more common, relatively speaking (given that the 13.3" XPSM1330 and SZ are two of the most common models to offer LED backlighting), so it would be more feasible to offer them in the MacBook, and prices might have come down enough for it to be realistic to offer.

-Zadillo

Comment

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I think obsolete was the wrong term.

But I'm qute positive Apple has a policy that permits free exchanges if your newly purchased mac is replaced within a certain period.
I'd be pretty surprised if this was an official policy in writing.

But I would agree that it is probably possible to get Apple to accept a return without a restocking fee, at least if you argued a bit about it.

-Zadillo

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
i think we may just be seeing SR update. early next year will be the new design. but thats me talking from my three month old macbook...

Comment

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
awesome! Well... I'd say I'd buy one as soon as they came out.. but damn you Apple.... you just had to go above and beyond today at the Genius bar didn't you. They are totally fixing everything thats wrong with my macbook... so now I can't really justify buying a new one. Bastards!!! :D

(Im going to create a new thread about what a GREAT experience I had at the Apple store today here in Charlotte... but a quick rundown.. they are replacing my top case, keyboard/palmrest/trackpad thing, giving me a new battery, and giving me a new iPhone because I scratched the glass somehow. So yeah... now I really dont have a reason to upgrade to a new Macbook)

Comment

~David

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
UHG! I can't stand the pressure anymore! :eek: *begins running around in circles in anticipation*

I really don't care what's updated, I just want to be able to finally get my Macbook (Although, some nice upgrades would be nice of course).

I'm interested to see how Apple prices the new MacBook in Canada.
Same, I'm hoping they match the US and CAD prices, or at least drop the CAD prices somewhat. Again, they did with Leopard.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.