Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Do you think we'll see a new Apple Magic Mouse in the near future?
Perhaps with a new form factor M1 iMac this year, could we see something new?

Personally I don't love or hate the current one. Just thought it might be a good time to redesign it...if anything to move the charging port away from the bottom.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I think we are probably close to a redesign and I would not be shocked to see one that uses wireless charging without a physical port.

Reactions: Starfia

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Considering that the Magic Mouse was released alongside (and technically available first) the iMac redesign in October 2009, it's not unprecedented. Whether it will be a new Mouse altogether or just a Magic Mosul 3 it's hard to say. It is pretty much 11 years old.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
How could the Apple mouse be refined in your opinion? I am using refined instead of redesigned because the latter would make sense only if it had to fulfil a totally new function, just like the magic mouse's shape was formed around the touch functions so i am personally not expecting something of a much different shape.

blicked

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2018
How could the Apple mouse be refined in your opinion? I am using refined instead of redesigned because the latter would make sense only if it had to fulfil a totally new function, just like the magic mouse's shape was formed around the touch functions so i am personally not expecting something of a much different shape.
They could start by putting the charging port anywhere but the bottom. Preferably at the top, so people who prefer a wired mouse can use it like that. Just for starters.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Considering that the Magic Mouse was released alongside (and technically available first) the iMac redesign in October 2009, it's not unprecedented. Whether it will be a new Mouse altogether or just a Magic Mosul 3 it's hard to say. It is pretty much 11 years old.
My best guess is that Apple will initially release Apple Silicon iMac with the same industrial design. A refreshed industrial design will come at a later date.

If Apple chooses to introduce new peripheral designs that coincide with a new iMac design, it likely will not happen in 2021.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
My best guess is that Apple will initially release Apple Silicon iMac with the same industrial design. A refreshed industrial design will come at a later date.

If Apple chooses to introduce new peripheral designs that coincide with a new iMac design, it likely will not happen in 2021.
Certainly, if a new design is not introduced it would make sense for them to keep selling it with MM2. Probably the new mouse will be in line with the aesthetic they are going for. This is probably correct, as we saw with the PPC-Intel transition and the currently release M1 Macs the designs are largely unaltered for their first releases.

Also, I see the typo + autocorrect machine is in full work in my last post, I don't know what a Magic Mosul is LOL

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Assuming Apple sticks with the current industrial design of iMac with its initial Apple Silicon version, it probably means it will have similar Bluetooth connectivity.

Magic Mouse 2 has the old Bluetooth 3.0+EDR connectivity.

When Apple releases a new iMac design, it is likely they will implement a later Bluetooth version like 5.0. It would be at that moment when a new Magic Mouse design would be likely.

That said, the current iMac has Bluetooth 5 so they could theoretically release a Bluetooth 5 Magic Mouse. But then they would have done that when they released the latest Intel iMacs.

My best guess is that Apple will wait for an industrial redesign refresh even if the Bluetooth technology is ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.