New apple Music app .. How do I view all songs by an Artist (Without a playlist)

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by blasto333, Jul 4, 2015.

1. blasto333, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

blasto333 macrumors regular

In the previous music app before apple music; I could select an artist and then view all songs. Now when I do this I get albums but I cannot shuffle an entire artist. Is there a way to do this?

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

There is, it's just not that obvious.

When you are in the Artist view tap the picture of the artist to the left of the name and it will start playing all songs by said artist. You can then tap on shuffle and it will shuffle all songs on all albums by the artist.

3. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for helping me; I still cannot get it. See attached photo of what I tried.

Attached Files:

4. Jayson A macrumors 68000

He means in the list of artists, before you tap on Ed Sheeran, instead of tapping on his name, tap the icon to the left of his name and it will play one of his songs. Then, simply pull up the mini player and tap the shuffle icon. It will shuffle only his songs.

You bring up an interesting topic though. I kinda like with the old music app, you can see every single song by that artist (in case you forget which album a certain song is on). You can just scroll down until you find the song you want. Now you have to go into each album, realize the song isn't there, back out, go into another one, look for the song again, back out, go into another one... and so on. Seems like kind of a pain. I prefer the old Music.app in this aspect.

5. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Now I got it. I do prefer the old way too; but I can get used to this.

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Hey, at least you still have your artwork. Mine disappeared after the update.

artist.png Photo Jul 04, 11 20 11 AM.png

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

What's weird is if you only have two albums by that artist, it will display all the songs on one page and give you the ability to shuffle all.

I prefer the album breakdown you get with 3 or more albums, but they need to add a shuffle and play all option there, rather than get you to guess to tap the artist pic.

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Well, once you know to tap the artist image while in artist list view it's actually easier to play all from there, rather than having to tap into the artist and then shuffle. It saves that step of having to go into the artist.

9. msvadi macrumors regular

This no longer works in iOS 10, is it correct?

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

No, it still works in iOS 10.2, but only when searching in your library, not in "Apple Music":

IMG_1176.PNG

11. msvadi macrumors regular

So, I'm in the Library with Artists view. If I tap on the image of an artist, it just shows the list of his albums. A long tap gives some other options none of which include playing his songs. I do have Apple Music with iCloud Library enabled. But even after switching to artists in the Downloaded Music, I cannot make the app play all songs of an artist by tapping on his image/icon.

Am I missing something here?

12. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Yes, at the top of my screenshot, do you see "Shuffle All"?

13. msvadi macrumors regular

Yes, I see. I was wondering actually if it would be possible to play all songs in order by albums - finish one album and switch to the next. It was possible in some of the earlier versions of the app.