New Apple Pay shortcut in iOS 8.3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmiw, Apr 10, 2015.

1. tmiw macrumors 68000

Apparently if you have one of your Apple Pay cards open in Passbook and put your thumb on the Home button, the iPhone will start reading your thumbprint and then show "Hold Near Reader To Pay". This seems to happen even when the phone isn't anywhere near an NFC reader. I don't remember this being in previous versions of iOS (though I could be wrong).

In any case this should save significant time at checkout as the Touch ID verification can be done while the clerk's still ringing you up. :D

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'm assuming it is new to 8.3 because I've never seen it before. Either it's new or I just never tried putting my finger on the home button prior to being prompted during an Apple Pay transaction.

3. Shikaka macrumors regular

Nice find! Look forward to trying it.

I wonder how long the Apple Pay session stays open? Like if I scanned my fingerprint and gave, or had my phone taken by someone else, how long would they have to use it at a NFC terminal?

4. sirsimon macrumors newbie

I just tried it on mine and it stopped prompting me to hold it near the NFC terminal after 60 seconds. :)

5. Shikaka macrumors regular

Ok good to know.

Did Apple post any official info about this change to ApplePay? I like the new feature but I don't really care for "surprises" when it comes to accessing my bank account.

6. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

The only thing I see on https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1806?locale=en_US that's Apple Pay related is the ability to remove shipping/billing addresses.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Excellent find! It's kinda because I can show offer people how Apple Pay works in sense.

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Mine too for about a minute or a little longer

Very nice bc you don't have to fumble for the exact fingerprint position. Although, by now that isn't really an issue--:):apple:

9. Shikaka macrumors regular

Worked great at McD's today! I have a couple of CC's in my passbook which usually causes a little delay at checkout while I scroll through my cards.

This new shortcut just makes ApplePay that much more convenient! Thanks OP!

10. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This is useful for Carl's Jr. And any other place that keeps the terminal behind the counter.

Used it like this at a jewelry store today, and it worked great. Before at this same jewelry store I had to have them hold the phone up to their terminal, bring me the phone back, authenticate, then have them re-tap it. Not as seamless as this. The jewelry store kept their terminal on a counter that isn't accessible by the customer.

12. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

True. However, it does enable bad merchant practices, which is why I'm ultimately on the fence about this feature.