New Apple Pencil Coming?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Mac 128, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

The Apple Pencil was released in November 2015. So we’re going on 3 years now. With the rumor of Pencil support coming for the new iPhone, is there any chance well also see an update to the Pencil? Not sure what that’d be, though.

Id like to pick up a Pencil this weekend, but hate to buy one now if a new one is right around the corner ... the Apple Store has a 14-day return policy, right?

2. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I doubt there is a new pencil.
    Newest rumors suggest to Apple Pencil support for iPhone.
    Yes - 14 days. So if it comes on Sept 12. You can exchange and get the new one.

3. AvisDeene macrumors member

AvisDeene

I hope there is. I'm not a professional artist, nor do I own an apple pencil yet, but I want to purchase a new iPad Pro with the next refresh and I'd like it if they come out with an Apple Pencil that a a narrower/sharper tip.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m not believing these rumors suggesting that Apple Pencil support will be for the new 2018 iPhones, But for future purposes, it could happen. If an Apple Pencil does launch, it would likely only be to the 6.5 iPhone X for exclusivity. If an Apple Pencil does debut, then Assume it will alongside the launch of the new iPads with Face ID.

5. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 603

Mac 128

I picked up a Pencil this weekend. It's a beautiful device, but not as ground breaking in application as I had thought. using it on the iPad display is very different than on paper, and takes some getting used to. But it works as advertised. I still haven't found a good graphics application which makes it intuitively easy to use -- so we'll see; it may be going back anyway for lack of a good reason to use it regularly.

If there were a new model, I'm not sure what I'd expect from it. The Pencil is perfectly weighted, and feels good in the hand. It works amazingly well, especially with nuanced strokes emulating pressure and density. Would I want a control button of some sort on the Pencil? Not particularly ... once you get into the mode of working on an iPad, it's fairly quick to access controls on the pad, without shifting your grip on the pencil to access a control. It works amazingly well now, so I can't imagine what more I'd want (other than a discount because a new Pencil came out).

6. fat boy macrumors newbie

I haven't had my iPad pro / pencil for long and love it - my only criticisms are the length / thickness of the pencil. I'd prefer something shorter, the cap is just asking to be lost and sticking the pencil into the end of the iPad just looks daft!

7. Starship67, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018

Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

So use the adapter and a cable that’s what is included for. Plugging into the lightning port on an iPad is just for quick charges not everyday full charges.

8. fat boy macrumors newbie

doh! thank you in my enthusiasm to unbox / use the iPad / pencil I'd ignored the adapter.

just leaves the challenge of not using the cap!

9. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

10. fat boy macrumors newbie

11. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Your welcome.

12. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 603

Mac 128

13. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 603

Mac 128

OK. Nothing to the Crayon retail expansion.

So I have a couple days left to return my Pencil. I like it, but not enough to keep it, if a new one is coming soon.

Now it seems like there's likely going to be some kind of iPad/Mac event in October, where there might be a new Pencil introduced along with the new iPads?

Interesting ... I guess there was no Pencil support for the new XS Max?

14. Elise macrumors 6502

I just ordered the pencil today, I'm not particularly bothered if Apple bring out new ones. Probably new colours? I'm happy with the white.

15. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

I love the pencil but I'm so tired of loosing caps. If apple did an ipen/real pen option and changed the charging I would be real happy. But being a apple owner for years I know what makes sense and is practical will only happen via third party

16. nyy13251 macrumors member

I wonder if the new pencil would work for the 2018 iPads. I’m thinking of getting both but will wait on pencil if new one will work on it. Unless it’s just for the pro

17. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 603

Mac 128

I can’t imagine any reason why the new pencil wouldn’t work on the old iPad. There may be features that won’t work, but the basic functionality should work no matter what. If they remove the Lightning port, that might be an issue, but I’d suspect whatever inductive method it will employ could be easily emulated with an adapter, or even just an AirPower charging pad.

18. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 603

Mac 128

Well, other than how quickly the pencil discharges, I'm pretty happy with it as it is. I'm not sure they'll introduce too much to the new pencil that as a casual user I'll need from it. The wireless charging is pretty cool, if that comes to pass, but not a deal breaker, otherwise.

I wonder if they'll continue to sell the old Pencil alongside the new one at a discount for those that don't need the advanced controls (assuming that's what's coming)? Seems like they almost certainly would if the new one does not have a Lightning connector, unless they have a pretty reasonable chagrinning adapter dongle to sell along with it.

19. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

We’ll find out soon enough. But in the Apple Store with the Logitech Crayon costing £59.95 and the Apple Pencil £89.00 I can them knocking much off.

If the old Pencil will still be sold alongside the new I think it more likely that the new one will cost more.