Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the Apple Pencil is currently compatible with iPads only, a future version of the accessory may work with Apple's Vision Pro headset.

Apple-Vision-Pro-and-Apple-Pencil-Feature.jpg

Apple has internally tested a new Apple Pencil with visionOS support, according to a source familiar with the matter. This would allow the Apple Pencil to be used with drawing apps on the Vision Pro, such as Freeform and Pixelmator.

No specific details are known about this project, but one possibility is that users would be able to draw with the Apple Pencil on a desk or another flat surface, and the drawing would appear in the open visionOS app. This would essentially turn a person's surroundings into a giant canvas, complete with pressure and tilt sensitivity.

A new Apple Pencil is rumored to launch alongside new iPad Pro and iPad Air models in April, but we have not confirmed if it will support visionOS.

Apple Pencil compatibility with the Vision Pro would also require updated software, but it is unclear which version might add support. The first beta of visionOS 1.2 will likely be made available to developers as early as this week, and Apple is expected to announce visionOS 2 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June.

As with any product that Apple develops, there is no guarantee that the company will move forward with releasing an Apple Pencil with visionOS support.

Article Link: New Apple Pencil With Vision Pro Support in Testing Ahead of visionOS 2

Last edited:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
No specific details are known about visionOS support, but one possibility is that users would be able to draw with the Apple Pencil on a desk or another flat surface, and the drawing would appear in visionOS. This would essentially turn a person's surroundings into a giant canvas, complete with pressure and tilt sensitivity.

Tbh, when I learned you couldn't do this from day 1 I was super surprised. It'd be a killer use case to just have a whiteboard wherever you want. Ofc, one big problem is ensuring people don't actually start carving out shapes in their walls...

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Tbh, when I learned you couldn't do this from day 1 I was super surprised. It'd be a killer use case to just have a whiteboard wherever you want. Ofc, one big problem is ensuring people don't actually start carving out shapes in their walls...
You’re closer to reality than most would think reading this at first glance. From the caveman on, the implement used contacts a solid surface, which is going to be a fairly interesting problem to solve with haptic feedback in the pencil while still having decent battery life. The upside is a really compelling user experience for those who want that infinite canvas. I’m not a 1.0 user of the Vision Pro, but I could see getting g one in the future. I just resolved that I was not spending $3499 to be a beta tester for Apple. I’ve beta tested other products, but not this one.

Last edited:

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
...and that's the only reason I own an iPad over a macbook.

Maybe one of the observations/suggestions of the Vision Pro reviews is true: The Vision Pro will cannibalise iPad sales.
Feels pretty unlikely as long as Vision Pro is so expensive. But I think iPad and Vision Pro are positioned to work together better than “I can see my Mac screen in a floating window”.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
this could be an incredibly compelling use case for AVP—really hope it doesn’t end up in the R&D graveyard. user input is the most finicky thing at the moment with visionOS, imo (owners, feel free to chime in, I’m going off 20 minutes in an Apple Store lmao)—adding an Apple Pencil into the mix could make it feel that much more real.

notice all the hypothetical language used here as well…only time will tell!

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
users would be able to draw with the Apple Pencil on a desk or another flat surface, and the drawing would appear in the open visionOS app. This would essentially turn a person's surroundings into a giant canvas, complete with pressure and tilt sensitivity.
Do you know what else can do this?
A pencil.
A. PENCIL.
And a pencil doesn't require $3600 + tax.

JOLoughlin

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2008
Very much makes sense for a Professional level tool. Hopefully more apps can be deployed to visionOS that take advantage of it. Something like the link below of Logitech’s VR stylus for Professionals. Hopefully not as expensive ($750)

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
And while I think the magnetic pairing and charging of Apple Pencil 2 is clever, here’s an example of how it would be less problematic if it just had a port or connector.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I expect Apple to release a new Apple Pencil Pro when M3 iPads drop within the next two months.

And then, in true Apple fashion, Apple drops another Apple Pencil Pro about a year from now that's 1/1 identical with the Apple Pencil Pro we're getting now.

Only the Apple Pencil Pro dropping in a year has the added support for Apple Vision Pro. No other changes, just added Vision Pro support.

MacTwick

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
I'm not sure what I would want changed in the Apple Pencil other than have the end of the pencil act as an eraser! That would be pretty neat. Oh, and Find My with precision finding built in.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I personally think that the iPad Pro with Pencil is a much better image editing tool, but I could be wrong.
The Virtual Keyboard could be better if it didn’t randomly lag.
Also, the latest update causes my VP to restart sometimes, specially when I’m watching a video in the ATV Theater, and I take a break for a few minutes. When I return, it acts up and then restarts.
That was not happening with the previous update.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

NicosAccount

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2024
...and that's the only reason I own an iPad over a macbook.

Maybe one of the observations/suggestions of the Vision Pro reviews is true: The Vision Pro will cannibalise iPad sales.
How could the vision pro cannibalise ipad sales? They are two completely different products at completely different price points.

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Do you know what else can do this?
A pencil.
A. PENCIL.
And a pencil doesn't require $3600 + tax.
But the $3600 or $299 or $499, whatever it's going to cost + tax, that's the whole point though.

And, on that note, I'm sure Apple Pencil Pro will be an "iPad Only" situation over again, meaning that you won't be able to charge it or even use it with Apple Vision Pro if it isn't paired with a compatible iPad (only iPads Pro and only M3 iPad Pro or later).

As always, Timmy will come up with some great new high-tech limitations to force you to upgrade a slew of Apple devices before you can use your Apple Pencil Pro with your $3499 Apple Vision Pro!

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
No specific details are known about this project, but one possibility is that users would be able to draw with the Apple Pencil on a desk or another flat surface, and the drawing would appear in the open visionOS app. This would essentially turn a person's surroundings into a giant canvas, complete with pressure and tilt sensitivity.
We won't need this when we'll be able to do all that and more with simple voice commands using Apple's A.I.

Unless... Apple's A.I. won't be good enough to do that. 😯

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
How could the vision pro cannibalise ipad sales? They are two completely different products at completely different price points.

I think I read it in this Bloomberg opinion piece below as well as other places. Yes the price is wayyy out from being competitive against the iPad, but their thinking is that eventually the casual content consumption places you might use an iPad could easily be done 'on yah face'. About the only thing an iPad can do that a headset can't is use a pencil as an input device.

I understand they are wildly different formats, but perform very similar tasks. Heck, the Vision Pro even has (mostly) the whole iPad App library to use.

Also my iPad cost the better part of $2000 once I got the pen and case. (I'm such a rube!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.