Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tech reporter Jake Krol today shared a brief hands-on video of the new Apple Pencil, which features a USB-C charging port hidden under a sliding cap. The video, shared on Instagram and TikTok, provides a first look at the sliding cap in action.

Apple-Pencil-USB-C-sliding-cap-feature.jpg

Priced at $79, the new Apple Pencil is a more affordable option compared to the first-generation and second-generation Apple Pencil models, which remain available for $99 and $129, respectively. It has a similar design as the second-generation Apple Pencil, but it charges with a USB-C cable instead of wirelessly.

The new Apple Pencil will be available to order in "early November," but a specific release date has yet to be announced by Apple. It is compatible with all iPad models equipped with a USB-C port, including the lower-end tenth-generation iPad.

Given its lower price, the new Apple Pencil lacks three key features compared to the second-generation model, including wireless charging, pressure sensitivity, and a double-tap gesture for switching between drawing tools. However, it does support the Apple Pencil hover feature with the latest 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models.

Article Link: New Apple Pencil's Hidden USB-C Port Demonstrated in Hands-On Video

Last edited:

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Can't believe they launched a Pencil without pressure sensitivity. Bet a lot of people won't realize this omission before they've bought one.
I’d buy this in a heartbeat if I didn’t already have a Pencil 2 from my old Pro and now mini.

Writing notes while in school, it would’ve made no difference since my writing is extremely messy.

Now, it’s a glorified stylus I use so I don’t feel like it’s wasted money since I’ve graduated 😂

Although I’m likely in the extreme minority here so it probably is a dumb move.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Can't believe they launched a Pencil without pressure sensitivity. Bet a lot of people won't realize this omission before they've bought one.
Do you think that everyone who uses a pencil is doing sketches and illustrations? A lot of people use the pencil for notes, and simple drawings, and for tapping buttons and such. They don’t have a lot of need for pressure sensitivity.

Really this pencil is aimed at the iPad 10th gen that was released with USB-C so it couldn’t work well with the lightning pencil and without the magnetic mount and charging system of the Pencil 2. This gives those buyers of the cheap iPad a pencil to match. One might wish that Apple had done more with that 10th gen iPad to bring it fully into sync with the Pencil 2 but they didn’t and here we are.

The whole iPad line appears to be doing a slow motion migration from one design world to another but the pieces are slow moving and not all in sync. It makes for some odd pairings.

Star Brood

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
I use the pencil for writing in foreign languages. It is a great mnemonic tool for that as using a finger is just sucky. However, it lacks a backspace gesture, and this really throws a wrench in the flow. The Apple Pencil would be great with better firmware, rather than more hardware.

Reactions: SamRyouji

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
The hate for this pencil is absurd. The issue is that they still sell the original Lightning one. No pressure sensitivity? 90% of users don't care or need it. MOST people use it for notes and similar tasks. And like, if you're someone who needs more, they have the one with pressure sensitivity. Having a $79 option is great. It's not like this is the only version that exists. Having an entry level one without pressure and a pro-level one with is just fine.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I was thinking the same. It’s DOA without pressure sensitivity.
I use one without pressure sensitivity, made by third party and and also two with, Apple Pencil 1 and 2. Honestly, I can't tell of any difference to my amateurish drawings (I tried to draw something and this was last time I drew on iPad :) ). For notes, diagrams and etc PS is not missing at all. It is only for pro artists and they never would or should buy AP USB C.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
"Demonstrated in hands-on video"?

It's literally a 15-second clip (with a few of those seconds of the footage repeated) 🤣
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Of course, I kinda know what to expect of this because I had an Apple Pencil 1 (that my partner is now using) and I have an Apple Pencil 2. But 15 seconds...?

Reactions: missingar

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I am talking about the particular newly launched pencil in the article which does not have pressure sensitivity.
Oh, the cheaper ones with less functionality and thus cheaper…. Got it. Maybe too expensive for what they are, but you always pay the Apple Tax. Nothing new, exciting or even unexciting. Nothing to complain about really.

Seems like a dumb and pointless product. They really need to start firing whenever is running product releases lately…what’s the market for this product?
What’s pointless about having a choice to not pay for something you don’t want or need? This will be the best pencil for many people. Thus by definition: not pointless

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh, the cheaper ones with less functionality and thus cheaper…. Got it. Maybe too expensive for what they are, but you always pay the Apple Tax. Nothing new, exciting or even unexciting. Nothing to complain about really.
What a garbage answer. Do you get paid to say stuff like this or are you chilling for free? They are effectively removing the option to have a pressure sensitive pencil for the base ipad, something that used to be the norm, unless you scavenge for the old gen 1 pencil in the future. Of course it warrants complaints.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Do you think that everyone who uses a pencil is doing sketches and illustrations? A lot of people use the pencil for notes, and simple drawings, and for tapping buttons and such. They don’t have a lot of need for pressure sensitivity.

Really this pencil is aimed at the iPad 10th gen that was released with USB-C so it couldn’t work well with the lightning pencil and without the magnetic mount and charging system of the Pencil 2. This gives those buyers of the cheap iPad a pencil to match. One might wish that Apple had done more with that 10th gen iPad to bring it fully into sync with the Pencil 2 but they didn’t and here we are.

The whole iPad line appears to be doing a slow motion migration from one design world to another but the pieces are slow moving and not all in sync. It makes for some odd pairings.
I didn't say everyone now did I? Your whole argument is built on a strawman! What is with these forums today!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.