Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Today I'm gonna show you my latest project: a very slim 17" apple display.
I used to have a Macbook pro 17" 2011 but it broke down due to the well-known problem of the GPU, if you want to read more about the death of my macbook pro, see here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1748708/

But today the led display of my old macbook has come to life again: I have disassembled it, bought a controller board for the panel (waited for the shipping from China) and I have created a external monitor fully working with a small stand made out of wood and a plexiglass case for the boards.

The board is powered by a 12V adaptor, but i'm gonna buy a 12V lithium rechargeable battery to use it without an external power supply.

There is also the webcam that i should be able to transform in a usb webcam only attaching a USB connector to the cable that come out of the display, i have seen the pinout of that.

What to you think?
What do you suggest in order to make my monitor looks like more apple-style?

24gvcwm.jpg

4k8mk1.jpg

xd5ah5.jpg

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
The control board needs to be built in to the stand, not stuck on the back, and then it needs to be at least silver really, black may work though.

Congrats on getting it to work though.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
From death comes life!

Very nice work!

I had the same problem with my 2011 15" MBP. I've been using Mac for 25 years and this is the first failure. They don't make them like they used to!

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Today I'm gonna show you my latest project: a very slim 17" apple display.
I used to have a Macbook pro 17" 2011 but it broke down due to the well-known problem of the GPU, if you want to read more about the death of my macbook pro, see here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1748708/

But today the led display of my old macbook has come to life again: I have disassembled it, bought a controller board for the panel (waited for the shipping from China) and I have created a external monitor fully working with a small stand made out of wood and a plexiglass case for the boards.

The board is powered by a 12V adaptor, but i'm gonna buy a 12V lithium rechargeable battery to use it without an external power supply.

There is also the webcam that i should be able to transform in a usb webcam only attaching a USB connector to the cable that come out of the display, i have seen the pinout of that.

What to you think?
What do you suggest in order to make my monitor looks like more apple-style?

That is awesome! You should take it off the wood and rest it in this stand

http://www.bluelounge.com/products/mika/

Could you get 90 degree adapters for the cables so they come in from the back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.