New apple remote unboxing

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
do you have to pair it with your devices or does it work like the old remote ?

i ask because the remote that's controls my uMBP interferes with my wife's uMBP.

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
that remote looks very sweet... time to sell the old one and pick up one of there puppies...

depaulsunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
First Impressions

1. Cool Aluminum body
2. Increased buttons to 7 buttons now
3. No scroll wheel functionality like iPod
4. Really thin (A quarter thick at edges and about 2 quarter thick in the middle)
5. Functions just like the old remote
6. REAAAALLLYY LOOOONG!! (As long as iPhone)
7. Width just shy of old remote
8 Battery compartment is, as everyone knows, at the back

I didn't like the long body at first. But after some use, I realized it feels more natural than the old remote which was held by fingers. It's soo thin if it hadn't been for the long body, it won't give a good grip.

After sometime it starts looking like starship keycard.. :cool:

Somebody asked for comparison photos.. Here they are:

Attachments

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
3. No scroll wheel functionality like iPod
Wow. Everything I had read (from unofficial sources, i.e. here on the MacRumors boards) when this was announced was that it would be a click wheel. Which, by the way, I have been saying since the first remote came out is the way it should be if the remote were to be worthy of the Apple name.

I just got mine and I can confirm that the only difference from the old remote is more buttons, and a different shape and color/finish. I wouldn't have shelled out the 40 bucks for two if I had known this. Sorely disappointed.

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
does it control programs such as Keynote presentations and Itunes? If so how is this different to the Remote App on the Iphone that works through the network? Will it do anything extra or just convenience?

I do need a separate Iphone App to control both Keynote and Itunes and it does require a network connection

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
To anyone who has the new Apple Remote and the old, white model: Is there any reason to upgrade? I like that the new remote has a select key that is separate from the play/pause key (I like to use it with Plex and Front Row (Trying to get Plex to launch when menu button is pressed so I can completely replace Front Row), but not sure if its worth buying. My MBP is my media center (other then my XBMCed XBox), so having a nice easy to hold remote would be nice.

TonD

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Europe
Wow. They took a tiny remote and made it huge. When talking about remotes, I'm not sure that's a good thing.