New Apple Store - Portland, OR

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by OregonSasquatch, Jun 27, 2013.

1. OregonSasquatch, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

OregonSasquatch macrumors newbie

Today I snapped some photos of the new Apple store construction in downtown Portland.

As you can see in the photos, the building on the left is being deconstructed for the new Apple store. The building across the street to the right is Pioneer Place mall, where the current Apple store is underground (you can hear the light-rail pass by overhead).

At this rate it looks like the demolition is well underway...so my guess is that they open by the 2013 holiday season.

The employees in the store haven't officially been told that the construction is actually the new store. However, they are well aware that it is their new home and can't wait to move their 200 employees out of the basement. They will add more employees once the street level store is open.

Attached Files:

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

3. OregonSasquatch thread starter macrumors newbie

4. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I walked by this store today, and it is really coming along! :D
    Oregon live thinks it'll open this summer.

5. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

it takes a full year to build an Apple Store?

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Depend on local laws, old quarks in this older building. Might be a foundation problems or something major along that line.

7. OregonSasquatch thread starter macrumors newbie

It's good to see that this thread is still going! Just got an email this morning about the store. It is opening at 10am on May 31st!

Attached Files:

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, they completely tore down the existing part of the building - and it was a "half building" - it is connected to another building that stayed up (a 15-story tower,) so the deconstruction part took quite a few months.

9. Anonymous Freak, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

From the Oregonian's article about the opening:
    [​IMG]

Wow... We really are the hipster capital of the world, aren't we? (Giant beard, giant beard, giant beard+hipster glasses, hipster mustache, hipster mustache+goatee+hipster glasses.)

Edit: Either that, or we've become a spoof of ourself. I mean, that picture would be at home in an Onion article about Portland.