Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonCh101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
So I went to the store with the intention to buy the Digital av adapter for my Ipad Air. I was quite shocked to find that Apple wants $50 for it (nice one apple), then I noticed that they had the Apple T.V. on sale for $80. Figured why not pay another $30 and have something that I can also use with my iPod/iphone (non lightning devices) without any need for cables.

This thing is great for that purpose but other than that this is a HUGE disappointment. I have a Samsung Smart T.V. so I've seen what can be done with the platform. I think apple has crippled this device on purpose so that when they release their version of the "Smart T.V." they won't have a cheap device in the market that can do the same thing.

If they Added storage and the App Store this device would smoke the competition. But that's not going to happen this is going to be their gateway drug to their T.V. Which is smart on their part but also pretty shady.

JonCh101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
I'm keeping it for streaming ipad content to my basement T.V. Mainly the TWC app and a few other things. It makes more sense than having to keep the ipad attached to an HDMI cable.

But why does my ipad have a Time Warner app and the "T.V." device does not? That's my point and it makes no sense other than holding back for the T.V.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm keeping it for streaming ipad content to my basement T.V. Mainly the TWC app and a few other things. It makes more sense than having to keep the ipad attached to an HDMI cable.

But why does my ipad have a Time Warner app and the "T.V." device does not? That's my point and it makes no sense other than holding back for the T.V.

Why doesn't your samsung smart TV have TW ?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA

I was not aware you could AIRPLAY the TWC App. Have you tested that? There is a rumor that TWC will put there App on another device this week. We are hoping that will be ATV but since it was not on todays update it reduces my hope.

JonCh101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Why doesn't your samsung smart TV have TW ?

Yes it does, but we have made a game room in the basement. And have put the older non smart T.V. down there. Figured I would just stream off the ipad.

.....And I just tried to run the TWC app through the apple t.v. and no dice. Son of a...this is why this device seems half baked to me. Three generations in and I can't even do basic things like watch t.v....why apple WHY!

Damn...I think I may just take this back and get a small smart t.v. when the after Xmas sales go up.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yes it does, but we have made a game room in the basement. And have put the older non smart T.V. down there. Figured I would just stream off the ipad.

.....And I just tried to run the TWC app through the apple t.v. and no dice. Son of a...this is why this device seems half baked to me. Three generations in and I can't even do basic things like watch t.v....why apple WHY!

Damn...I think I may just take this back and get a small smart t.v. when the after Xmas sales go up.

You have cable. That's the best way to watch TV imho.

;)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Well it probably depends on every use case, I use mine for Airplay & watching Netflix and for those purposes my ATV works just perfectly. Although I have a very nice TV its not a smart tv, nor is it internet enabled, so for me the ATV gave my tv a second life.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yea I may be over complicating things by trying to have a high tech setup down there. My wife said the same thing.

I know. People make things so complicated. If a person has cable service they should just watch cable. No need for boxes and smart TV's. I mean. Why have TWC on your smart tv/box when all you have to do is use tha darn cable you are paying for.

I've never understood the idea of having a cable channel on a smart box when you have the cable itself.

It's overkill.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You maybe right. I notice Smart TVs sell at a premium, for that smatness they want another usd$500+

To be fair, Apple has added a number of new channels recently on the ATV. Apps for iphone/iPad is different than App for the ATV, they need a content provider on the other end for it to happen.

JonCh101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Well it probably depends on every use case, I use mine for Airplay & watching Netflix and for those purposes my ATV works just perfectly. Although I have a very nice TV its not a smart tv, nor is it internet enabled, so for me the ATV gave my tv a second life.

Yea sure, i wouldn't even recommend getting a smart t.v. yet. The main reason I got that model was the picture, I've always had the knock off brands and we threw in together to get a good one this time.

At first I bought the 2012 samsung and the menus were very laggy and apps loaded super slow. Not to mention the interface sucked. And it's not like apple devices where you get the new os when the new t.v.'s come out. So I took that back and got the 2013 version which is much better. But there's allot that needs to be improved open. Be a few years until they get it totally ironed out.

But they do have all the t.v. apps you can think of...which is why it's so shocking to see the "app king" release a product that is so gimped on apps. But I didn't do any research on it because my original intent was to just buy the t.v. Adapter.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
.....And I just tried to run the TWC app through the apple t.v. and no dice. Son of a...this is why this device seems half baked to me. Three generations in and I can't even do basic things like watch t.v....why apple WHY! .

The ability to airplay is decided by the app provider. Not apple.

Most of the apps that don't airplay have been from developers that stand to loose $ if you use airplay instead of renting / purchasing hardware or content from them.

JonCh101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
I know. People make things so complicated. If a person has cable service they should just watch cable. No need for boxes and smart TV's. I mean. Why have TWC on your smart tv/box when all you have to do is use tha darn cable you are paying for.

I've never understood the idea of having a cable channel on a smart box when you have the cable itself.

It's overkill.

I thought that at first myself until I used the app. The TWC app has every notable channel on demand. From ABC to HBO, you don't need a separate HBO, AMC, NBC apps they are all tied into it. The only thing that's not on demand is sports. Other than that no need for a DVR it's super convenient. It's like Netflix for cable. Once you start using it there's no going back.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

It's overkill.

I was thinking this feature was for people on the road, not at home. Then am thinking too some programs can be recalled on-demand? rather than having to wait for the broadcast time?

----------

.....And I just tried to run the TWC app through the apple t.v. and no dice.

Really? Shouldn't ATV mirror whatever is on your desktop/laptop screen regardless of what it's doing?

JonCh101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
The ability to airplay is decided by the app provider. Not apple.

Most of the apps that don't airplay have been from developers that stand to loose $ if you use airplay instead of renting / purchasing hardware or content from them.

Right but apple already has the TWC APP on the ipad and you can only use it if you are subscribed to TWC already. So why not have it on the apple t.v.? It just seems like apple is not putting in the effort they should be here.

----------

I was thinking this feature was for people on the road, not at home. Then am thinking too some programs can be recalled on-demand? rather than having to wait for the broadcast time?

----------

Really? Shouldn't ATV mirror whatever is on your desktop/laptop screen regardless of what it's doing?

When you try and run it the app pops up an error message "this app does not support HDMI output please unplug the HDMI cable".

So even if I just bought the lightning to T.V. cable it still wouldn't work.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I thought that at first myself until I used the app. The TWC app has every notable channel on demand. From ABC to HBO, you don't need a separate HBO, AMC, NBC apps they are all tied into it. The only thing that's not on demand is sports. Other than that no need for a DVR it's super convenient. It's like Netflix for cable. Once you start using it there's no going back.

Not sure about TWC but Comcast has On Demand TV.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Why people want to deal with cable through the ATV - as others have said it, I just do not get it.

Then again, I get tired of subject titles that do not address the question.

Oh well.

As one said, you can just take it back. After all, a few million people must surely be wrong.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013

It's overkill.

Because cable/satellite companies want to charge anywhere from $5-$20/month per receiver unit (depending on features) for "leasing". Better to have a single tuner (or even better, a device you own that can use a CableCard) and manage the rest of the hardware side of things yourself in the long run.

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Since you have cable, take the ATV back and get the Roku 3 (you can find them on sale for $80). It has both TW and WatchESPN channels so all you have to do is add them to the Roku and it acts like a cable box on any display. I do this in my bedroom. I do have the ATV and like it and was glad to see they added the WatchESPN channel and had my fingers crossed they would add TWC but not yet.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
For those stating it's overkill to get an Apple TV when you already have cable, think about this:

When you get cable you can get multiple boxes. But each box charges you a monthly fee. Over time those fees can add up. If you instead hook up an Apple TV or other device that allows you to authenticate your cable package, then you don't need to pay the fee for the additional boxes.

So you authenticate for Disney, ESPN, HBO, ABC, etc...and now you have all that content on your other TVs and don't need to pay a monthly fee to enjoy it.

People are expecting the Apple TV to substitute for Cable or Sat so we can cut the cord. But neither Apple or the big telecom companies are going to do that. Right now they are positioning it to be a supplementary to your existing cable package. And one that if used the way I mentioned above, could save you $$.

----------

Right but apple already has the TWC APP on the ipad and you can only use it if you are subscribed to TWC already. So why not have it on the apple t.v.? It just seems like apple is not putting in the effort they should be here.

Not sure you are placing the blame in the right place. Apple didn't develop the TWC app for the iPad. TWC did.

If I recall, it is the 3rd party company that develops their app on the Apple TV. I thought I read that HBO worked diligently to get their app ready for the Apple TV. So if you want to blame somebody for lack of effort, I would say blame TWC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.