New Apple Trackpad really nice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Acorn, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I got one of the new trackpads for christmas and its super nice. Its white glass instead of aluminum color and the surface is much larger. The click anywhere is really nice and has that awesome click feedback. The fact that its rechargeable is even better. I didn't think it would be worth it at first to replace my old apple trackpad but I change my mind. Its worth it and it's really nice hardware. I really love the new larger surface area. It feels so natural to use gestures with. If your on the edge of getting it I strongly recommend it.

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The click feedback is really amazing. I don't mean the sound (which can be disabled, although it's pretty convincing too), but the feel of it. I had to put it on the table and press down while watching just to prove to myself that the surface wasn't actually moving downward with the click. It's been about two months since I've been using mine now, and I'm still amazed by that sensation.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

Yea the click is awesome. I was thinking of upgrading to one of the new macbook pro retina and i'm really sold on the new trackpad design. I never thought they could improve on the best trackpad in the industry but I was wrong. I am just hoping they get the low travel keys worked out. I am not sure I would like them too much.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't really care for it, but then I'm more of a mouse guy anyways.

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I was about to create a thread on this when I saw yours. Apple gets bashed so much that I wanted to complement them.

I really don't care for trackpads, Apple's is MacBook Pro ones are tolerable. I bought the standalone old MT and returned it. I didn't get it. I'm one of those few who love the Magic Mouse. I could rest my hands on the table and just move the mouse. The old trackpad was at an odd angle and you had to hover your fingers over it which caused wrist strain for me. My hand cramped so I returned it. Also, it was kind of small for tracking across large screens (I don't want maximum tracking speed because it's hard to control).

However, I saw the new MT2 in an Apple Store and was astounded at the size and even the appearance. A few minutes of use didn't really show me anything meaningful, but I loved the feedback. For Christmas I actually got one from someone and thought "neat." I tried it and fell in love with it. It's large enough for comparable tracking, the feedback is really nice, and I love the Force-Click for link preview. It's now at much less of an angle and I haven't had any wrist pain. I enjoy tracking with it.

I actually have two comments:
    (1) I agree, but have you tried clicking with four fingers? I had a BetterTouchGesture for it and will change it because the feedback is different and it sometimes only clicks once, so it feels like it's stuck, which of course it isn't because it doesn't move. I don't like it.

(2) Do you use the three-finer drag gesture? People say they love it, but I don't really see how it's easier than quickly double tapping with a finger. I wish you could do a 4-fingure drag because I've used 3-fingers for shipping and Mission Control for 3 years and it's hard to unlearn. :(

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I tried clicking with four fingers just now and it feels pretty weird, like there's a constant vibration. I don't have any gestures that use a four-finger press, but I could see how it'd be a bit of a bother if you were using it before.

I use the three-finger drag. It's a tap, rather than a press, so the vibration doesn't come into play. Double-tapping doesn't accomplish the same thing for me, probably due to settings... I got into the three-finger motion from back when I was using the original Magic Trackpad, which I couldn't reliably "click" due to my desk surface.