New Apple TV 4K

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cardiff25, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Cardiff25 macrumors member

Upgraded from 4th gen but finding the video jerky (juddery) reading various things not sure what my hdmi is but isn’t hi speed or anything I doubt.

If I get new hdmi will this sort the issue?

2. 570934 Suspended

What content is it being jerky on? Typically a recommended HDMI cable does sort a lot of problems out for sure. The Belkinones in the Apple Store are cheap enough and correct most people's problems, especially with the sticky menus for one.

3. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

iTunes 4k films mainly but also prime video etc.

I’ll try the Belkin HDMI have read good things, also should I have it 60hz hdr or something else?

4. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

You should set it to match the content frame rate.

5. bumbo macrumors regular

bumbo

This. Go into the video settings and adjust the frame rate option to match the content to the device

6. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

7. 570934 Suspended

Yeah 100% change the cable. As the others have said match content/frame rate etc. Little tip though, especially if you are using the aerial screen savers and your TV does Dolby Vision. Set the default to DD 60hz as it doesn't seem to do match content when playing the screen savers so if you have it set to anything other than 4K DD/60Hz they are either in SD definition or in the wrong frame rate at 50hz. If the TV doesn't do DD then set the standard to 4K SD/60hz :D

8. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

Thats great ill get the belkin hdmi today,

I cant find if its got dolby vision or just 4k HDR ?

think its this tv

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhd-ku6100/UE49KU6100KXXU/

any ideas ?

edit: thanks for your help so far ;)

9. 570934 Suspended

Samsung, they don't 'do' Dolby Vision due to licensing and Samsung being behind HDR10 as a format. Think VHS and Betamax :D So set the ATV to 4K SD/60hz :D

10. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

And get new hdmi ? And turn on that match content option yeah?

Just out of interest what’s wrong with hdr and my tv?

11. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

You definitely need a new HDMI cable. The marketing gimmicks for them is abhorrent, and really unclear to the consumer. I went through 4 before I realized why I was bing dupped! Ended up ordering the Belkin from Apple and problems solved! I have a Sony so can't comment on the Dolby and Samsung thing.

12. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

Were you having the same issues ?

13. 570934 Suspended

What's wrong with your TV? No idea I never said there was anything wrong with it, just saying it dines't display Dolby Digital because Samsung don't license DD for their TV's

14. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

No i meant why cant i use HDR setting there's nothing wrong with the tv and the picture is amazing through the atv4k best ive seen it do (apart from the judder)

15. 570934 Suspended

Oh sorry, yeah I mean for the aerial screen savers. They are only in either SD or DD and with matched content not working when using the aerial screen savers is make them look all very weird.

16. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

Yes almost identical. Decided it was the TV that was screwing me, or the cable. After endless searching I started looking very closely at the cable bandwidth and found the the Belkin had bandwidth at up to 48Gbs. That was double what I was finding on amazon and at walmart claiming high speed. So YMMV but I haven't had an issue since.

17. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

Gonna get the cable

Change the settings as above, and see

Hope it sorts it all out

Funnily enough think the aerial screen savers are wicked and no judder lol

18. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I use the Amazon Basics 6 foot HDMI cable and have no problems at all. They were cheap and shipping was fast.

19. Cardiff25 thread starter macrumors member

Gonna tests properly tomorrow but seems to have solved it