Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Let me, as a customer, determine if I want a browser.

Sorry, that's why company execs get paid the big bucks; to make what they feel are the right decisions to deliver a superior user experience. Obviously Apple decided (correctly in my opinion) that browsing websites on a TV is not a great user experience. If you have an issue with that then I guess Apple TV is not for you.

People who want to view videos from sources that may never get a native app for one thing.

Do you have an example? Why wouldn't they be able to deliver a native app?

Reactions: brentonbrenton

chitoac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2014
Probably we will see this in future tvOS updates ,they'll maybe add futures slowly so regular users(not power users or us) can keep up.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Let me, as a customer, determine if I want a browser.

Apple has proven many times that customers (in aggregate) often do not know what they want.

A browser is a faster horse (but cars will sell much better throughout the next century). An Apple may even be looking at doing more in the car business. Note that there are no Apple horse ranches or breeders rumored (even though the daughters of a small number of rich parents want one).

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
tvOS 3.x - revolutionary new browser designed for the living room experience. lol @ Apple

If so, the user experience will be completely different from the github example, or what developers can do now with a iOS WebKit view. What can be done now is a UI worse than mp3 players before the iPod.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
It would be useful to have for a very few people in a very few situations.

I mostly agree with this, but the old model of the ATV had no support for splash screens when connecting to Wifi. That's really the only browser window that I'd like to see.

Give me a way to hook it to a company's wifi when a splash screen is required for guest access (and not make me ask a customer to change the way "they" run their network to accomodate my style), and I'll be perfectly happy. Again, hotels and corporate guest wifi networks probably aren't too common of a use case, but especially with Apple trying to push into Enterprise more... You'd think it'll be more and more common as time goes on.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
They have probably blocked web browser because,

- of security issues
- they want TV-apps instead of web apps
- of bugs and they plan to make it available later.

* which are slow and not possible to make money from in their app store.

-to prevent the lazy developers just throwing web content onto the screen, which would be ugly and unreadable for many users, and would reflect very badly on the platform as a whole.

Reactions: firewood

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Why? Who wants a browser on a TV?
I understand that sentiment back in the old TV days. It was like surfing the non-mobile web on an iPhone 3GS. With the 1K and 4K (and 8K) TVs out there, I can see it for casual browsing, like going to www.raptor-aviation.com on the big screen and watching the videos there.

By casual, I mean that I see a website, and I surf to it, and treat it like a one way interaction. Surf, read, click, and repeat.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Do you have an example? Why wouldn't they be able to deliver a native app?
He's not saying they can't develop a native app but cases where they won't develop a native app for whatever reason, case in point would be the current speculation over whether Amazon Prime will release an Apple TV app or not. If they didn't and you had a web-browser there's a chance you could use that instead.

Reactions: H2SO4

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I'm waiting patiently for someone to sideload Kodi on the new AppleTV. Hopefully this ends up being possible.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Have you tried a browser on a TV? It's not a particularly enjoyable experience. Both the Wii and Wii U have a browser... but I rarely use it because most websites just don't work well on a TV with a controller/remote?

Even this browser looks like a miserable experience.

"Apple TV" the clue is in the title. If the functionality afforded by a product is expanded too far, the purpose for said device becomes confused and cluttered (see Android TV boxes a a prime example).

The reason is simple (I think). If they had a browser, then you could circumvent the channels that are offered and get content other ways than via their app store. And they want to control that experience/access.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
So, side-loading apps is considered hacking now? I'm gonna rush out and buy a USB-C cable to start hacking tonight and install all the hacks for my hacked Apple TV. Then I will change my signature to "1337 h4x0r".

Reactions: alvindarkness

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The reason is simple (I think). If they had a browser, then you could circumvent the channels that are offered and get content other ways than via their app store. And they want to control that experience/access.

You can already do that with AirPlay. This is about websites looking and acting terrible on a TV. Everything's too small, interaction requires a mouse or touch, typing urls is a chore, websites are generally not optimised for 16:9 viewing, reading articles on a screen 10 feet away isn't comfortable, and neither is it compelling viewing for anyone else in the room.

It isn't worth it, and giving developers the option of presenting web content in their apps would be too tempting a shortcut for many and would result in some very poor experiences for users.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
The Apple TV already comes with a browser, it's called AirPlay Safari from your favorite iOS device. :p

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
So Apple is purposively preventing AppleTV from acting as a browser? If so, then good to know. #dealbreaker

Not having a web browser on a tv is a deal breaker? You'd use it like twice and then never again. It's a terrible user experience.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
So can this guy change the website, or did he just hardcode the webview to open up apple.com?

Also, what the somebody said earlier on in this thread, if you can use it for amazon prime video, then that would be awesome

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What I remember is Apple TV has A8 processor right? So the closest should be something like iOS.

But, for browser? Zooming in everything to a very high ratio, say 400%, by default?

Hmm.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
People now are too conditioned to multitasking while watching TV. Beyond the technical exercise to hack the Apple TV, who is interested in forcing a device to perform a function it wasn't designed to do? I think most people would prefer to watch TV with their phone, tablet, or laptop nearby.

sorinc03

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
This whole "Why doesn't it support web browsing" reminds me a lot of "when will iOS support flash". Do people browse websites on mobile Safari a lot? I'm willing to bet they mostly use apps for information.

That tvOS doesn't allow apps to display content is a different story. Would we really need Twitter and Facebook with their respective web linked content on the TV? When people sit in front of their TV they probably don't want to read tweets. I have my phone for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.