new Apple TV - No airplay?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Sonmi451, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Sonmi451 Suspended

It doesn't look like the new Apple TV supports airplay out functionality. There is no audio out connector. Am I missing something, or do I need to get an airport express if I want to send audio to Sonos speakers. Thanks!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Audio over HDMI. Like to a TV... As in the product name AppleTV

You might be able to find a device to split the audio from the video. Some AV receiver might.

But it will support AirPlay.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't think sonos has opened up and supported airplay out of the box. I think you will still need an AE to do this. Unless they change in the near future.

This is coming from a someone who has four sonos speakers.

*Update
    From the sound of this thread it looks like you still need to have an AE: https://en.community.sonos.com/musi...full-support-for-airplay-5606578/index12.html

4. bluespark macrumors 65816

Sounds like you're asking a couple of different things. As to AirPlay, support is unchanged from prior versions. As to ports, Apple eliminated the optical out. This decision is problematic for lots of us -- those with setups such as yours, those with receivers that lack HDMI audio in, those of us who used prior versions of the AppleTV to send music to our system without turning on the TV, etc.

It seems that every year, it takes more effort to remain in the Apple ecosystem. Sometimes I wonder why we do this to ourselves.

5. noshjewman macrumors member

I have a Sonos system and got rid of my AV receiver. I managed the issue of Sonos' optical support by getting a simple HDMI switcher that is able to split audio from the HDMI signal and send it through an optical out.
    This is the simplest kind - there are also ones that allow for multiple HDMI inputs.

6. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

Thanks that is unfortunate. I like a lot of Apple stuff, but I feel like I curse them equally as much for decisions I don't understand. I think I'm going to skip the new Apple TV anyway.

7. rihia macrumors newbie

I take it you would need your new Apple TV to go into the amp then into the tv... And hopefully it will play audio without the tv being switched on

8. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

I would not have an amp in this scenario.

9. rihia macrumors newbie

This was my first thought about the new Apple TV but luckily I have a spare amp with hdmi.

At least there's that simple hdmi switch box you could try. I recommend grabbing that before you plunge into getting the new atv and selling your old one.

10. jerwin macrumors 65816

This is bog standard on AV receivers now.
    But if you'd like to cheap out, you can probably find an "audio extractor" of some sort. I can't say I've used one of these-- you might find it useful if you ever need to hook up a bluray player-- such devices typically omit anything besides hdmi.