New :apple:TV not choosing correct YouTube res video.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fivepoint, Oct 23, 2010.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I have (unfortunately) a 1.5mb DSL connection. My new :apple:TV seems to be worse at selecting the correct resolution of YouTube video to play. The old one would select a lower res so it could play instantaneously or at least in a reasonable amount of time... but the new one seems to automatically select the higher HD res versions and takes FOREVER to load the video before it can be watched. It might take 10 minutes before I can watch a video which is 10 minutes long.

Is there any way to force the new AppleTV to select the lower res versions for more instant watching pleasure?

Thanks!

2. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

Well there is a setting that let's you toggle between HD downloads and SD downloads. I thought it applied only to rentals, but maybe it includes Youtube, too. I have the same Internet speed but I haven't tried YouTube yet, so I can't say for sure, but you should try that. The option is in settings under either "general" or "audio/video".

3. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I don't think changing the itunes download option is going to change the YouTube algorithm is uses to determine download quality! It works perfectly on the old AppleTV! What the heck, Apple?

4. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

Yeah sorry. I realized later that it does specific that it's for iTunes downloads, I thought I just saw it under the "general" settings as download quality.