Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
I think DVR will be both cloud based and local, the reason is from what I hear the new TV service will be an app, and you might want something you recorded available to all devices with icloud, and for home you would want it local, and Apple could make money off both.

So now I pay like 18.00 a month for DVR service from my cable company,

This would really push people buying icloud service for sure.
3.99 for 200gb would be a huge bargain.
9.99 for 500gb
19.99 for 1tb would be my choice.

They may also offer the new Apple TV with storage levels, like
256gb, 500gb, 1tb

Beats what I pay now, which is like 18.00 a month from my cable co.

Can't wait to find out just how they are going to provide this new service.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I just wish the pay TV providers would just get out of the hardware business and let Apple, Google, Sony etc do the hardware stuff.

Current pay TV set top boxes are horrible, slow and power sucking hogs. Imaging instead an Apple device in place of a current cable box?

quamdar

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
I just wish the pay TV providers would just get out of the hardware business and let Apple, Google, Sony etc do the hardware stuff.

Current pay TV set top boxes are horrible, slow and power sucking hogs. Imaging instead an Apple device in place of a current cable box?

Hopefully a cablecard predecessor will come out in the near future that will make third party cable boxes MUCH easier to produce and for consumers to use. Only company I know of making third party set top boxes (at least popular ones) now is Tivo and I've heard nothing but good things from people that use them other than getting it set up with the cable company is like pulling teeth.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I have 2 DVR's with 12 tuners and whole home FIOS Service so I have some experience and I feel DVR's should be made obsolete. We need a commercial free On Demand service. Much like Netflix's Original Programming. With On Demand you can PAUSE for a short break or stop and then restart on another device. And again, it MUST be commercial free. That is the main reason for the DVR Now since there are a number of On Demand options that require you to watch commercials like Hulu Plus. For those that still feel that commercials are required for economic reasons I again point you to Netflix Original Programming and for that matter HBO and Amazon. it can be done just need to set the correct price. There can also be multiple price options.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I have 2 DVR's with 12 tuners and whole home FIOS Service so I have some experience and I feel DVR's should be made obsolete. We need a commercial free On Demand service. Much like Netflix's Original Programming. With On Demand you can PAUSE for a short break or stop and then restart on another device. And again, it MUST be commercial free. That is the main reason for the DVR Now since there are a number of On Demand options that require you to watch commercials like Hulu Plus. For those that still feel that commercials are required for economic reasons I again point you to Netflix Original Programming and for that matter HBO and Amazon. it can be done just need to set the correct price. There can also be multiple price options.

HBO, showtime, starz, netflix etc are premium channels. They do not carry a lot of shows per season like other ad supported channels. Quality shows are expensive to make. There will be far fewer shows and channels if ads go away.

Just so you know... You can watch current shows without ads. Pause and resume on a different device, as you suggested, right now.

Just go buy the content you want on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Prime etc.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just so you know... You can watch current shows without ads. Pause and resume on a different device, as you suggested, right now. Just go buy the content you want on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Prime etc.
Of course I know you can BUY TV Shows but you can not RENT them. TV shows that you only watch once should not require a purchase. If you compare the cost to purchase with Movies that have both a PURCHASE vs. RENT Option the cost difference is about 4 times. If you could RENT TV Shows for about 25% of the current cost to BUY then your argument would be something to consider.

You also stated that the other options are two few and I agree. But that is changing. And the options that are available cost a lot to produce. Check out the cost of HBO's Game of Thrones. That show alone cost a lot of money. Based on your argument it is shocking that they can produce it commercial free.

Lastly, I did say they could have options. Commercial Free Price and a Price with commercials. I think I read that Hulu said they would have to double the cost of Hulu to offset the commercial revenue. So how about offering both. $7.99 with commercials and $14.99 without? Or even $19.99 without. Are you saying there is no reasonable price? My point, my DVR Hardware and extra STB's are costing me > $60 per month. I only have them so I can watch commercial free and when I want. I.E. Commercial Free On Demand. I would be willing to pay more to drop the hardware cost. I do not think I would be alone.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Of course I know you can BUY TV Shows but you can not RENT them. TV shows that you only watch once should not require a purchase. If you compare the cost to purchase with Movies that have both a PURCHASE vs. RENT Option the cost difference is about 4 times. If you could RENT TV Shows for about 25% of the current cost to BUY then your argument would be something to consider.

You also stated that the other options are two few and I agree. But that is changing. And the options that are available cost a lot to produce. Check out the cost of HBO's Game of Thrones. That show alone cost a lot of money. Based on your argument it is shocking that they can produce it commercial free.

Lastly, I did say they could have options. Commercial Free Price and a Price with commercials. I think I read that Hulu said they would have to double the cost of Hulu to offset the commercial revenue. So how about offering both. $7.99 with commercials and $14.99 without? Or even $19.99 without. Are you saying there is no reasonable price? My point, my DVR Hardware and extra STB's are costing me > $60 per month. I only have them so I can watch commercial free and when I want. I.E. Commercial Free On Demand. I would be willing to pay more to drop the hardware cost. I do not think I would be alone.

HBO get a very large cut from pay TV providers per customers besides the ~$14 each customer pays on top of their bill. That is why HBO has tonnes of $$$ to produce/buy shows.

The current TV model is hugely profitable to studios, actors, writers, directors etc as well as Pay TV providers. ESPN get a cut even if customer never watch the channel.

If you want a new model it must first prove to be more profitable than the current one.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
If you want a new model it must first prove to be more profitable than the current one.
HBO is going with HBO Now for a reason. I assume to make more money. I think Hulu could offer a commercial free option but for some reason they do not. My guess is Hulu will eventually fold if they do not make some changes soon. Anyway, looks like some exciting new options are around the corner.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
That is true. HBO knows that there is an increasing trend of folks that have broadband but no paid TV service. They hope to make some gain in that market.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013

Yeah, commercials are not as effective today, and they destroy the viewing experience. I would rather them do one to start and one to end, or have some product placement or mentions. Also the brought to you by so and so doesn't bother me.

With that said, I hope Apple offers an on demand package with NO commercials for a certain price, and a free one with commercials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.