Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
I tried using both MetaX and iDentify to change some of the meta data of the files with no success.

Also, I tried to use iFlicks to "flatten to quicktime movie" which was also unsuccessful.

The only thing working for me is doing a full conversion in iFlicks to the AppleTV setting. Oh well, at least I can set it to run and then let it go for 24 hours.

I got a call back from Apple Support. They escalated it to their engineers who confirmed the files (based on their format, size and bitrate) should work in the new AppleTV. They want me to send a sample file to them so they can see if they can figure out why it's not working.

m&c

Hi,

How do you convert using iflicks to .mp4 or .m4v? it seems that when i set to convert to any of the presets (usually HD, since the AppleTv preset is not 720p on iflicks), it converts everything to .mov, which doesnt play for me for some reason, just gives me a white screen with no sound.

Note: the above mentioned white issue is for conversions coming from .avi files on iflicks being converted to .mov.

Thanks
AE

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
My question really is how do I convert on iflicks to .mp4?

My current way of conversion, is one my one select each source .avi on handbrake, presets to AppleTV their and convert. Once thats done, I open the file with iflicks and it finds the tags, i preset it to "flatten to quicktime movie" and start adding it to itunes.

That seems to work pretty good, but it would be amazing if i could directly convert .avi to .mp4/m4v in iflicks. I like iflicks because you can drag a bunch of files before converting, whereas handbrake you have to add one by one to the queue, which is frustrating.

Thanks
AE

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Hi,

I just spent over an hour with applecare and they have no idea. He says the videos are correctly formatted and doesn't know why. They escalated the problem so maybe I will get an answer in a couple of days.

Weird things is that I tried to move one of the movies onto my iPad and it doesn't work there either.

However, if you click the advanced tab in iTunes and select convert to iPad/iTunes compatible it states already correct format.

If I find anything out I will post.

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
My question really is how do I convert on iflicks to .mp4?

My current way of conversion, is one my one select each source .avi on handbrake, presets to AppleTV their and convert. Once thats done, I open the file with iflicks and it finds the tags, i preset it to "flatten to quicktime movie" and start adding it to itunes.

That seems to work pretty good, but it would be amazing if i could directly convert .avi to .mp4/m4v in iflicks. I like iflicks because you can drag a bunch of files before converting, whereas handbrake you have to add one by one to the queue, which is frustrating.

Thanks
AE

I just drag avi's to iFlicks and drop them in the window. I select "AppleTV" in the drop down menu (for what to convert to) and hit start. That's it.

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Well it's been 3 days and haven't heard from applecare again, but have decided that whatever they did to aTV2 they did the same thing to the iPad so I am left with having to encode all the movies that don't work.
I started it this weekend and it S###s. On a positive note I didn't know about iFlicks before; nice program. It's slower than visualhub though so I think for now I will stick with it.
A-D 37 movies. This is going to take awhile. I figure I probably have about 200+ to go.

If anyone knows a better way I would appreciate the advice.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Firstly, I found even with the atv1 I could not mix mp4 (non h264) with h264 mp4s or m4vs, one or the other would not appear on the appletv. So I just made sure h264 was used for every rip.

Secondly, iFlicks does not make mp4s. It makes mov's with h264. I wish it were otherwise, and have mentioned this to the developer, but it's the way it is for now.

iFlicks for me would be the complete program other then for this. Mind you, if it could rip the dvds from scratch also, then it would be just about the perfect program for building my library with.

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
No update for this on my end. Apple never did get back to me. I updated my software on the Apple TV2 and it still won't play some of the files (files that the original AppleTV will play but Apple TV2 never would).

The only thing that has worked for me thus far is re-converting the files.

m&c

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.