New Apple TV to be called Apple Home?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thepixelpusher, Aug 24, 2015.

1. thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Could Apple launch a new device like the Apple TV that has an iOS 9 compliant OS, like the iPhone, runs 3rd party apps downloaded from the App Store (including gaming), come with a touchpad remote that includes a microphone and SiRI response and call it Apple Home?

I imagine it to be the evolved version of Apple TV that still does the TV stuff plus runs most of the same apps as the iDevices as well as addressing all home features like lighting, security, appliances, etc.

Maybe Apple would still offer the stripped down Apple TV, at a lower price, for a time along side the Apple Home device.

2. treichert macrumors 6502

Naaa, I don't think they'll rename it.

Also the Apple TV already runs iOS, so it would run iOS 9 anyway, even if there was no big hardware update.

3. thepixelpusher thread starter macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Even better name!

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This is actually a really good point. I believe the idea is that home kit will use the appleTV as a hub, making it so much more than an ATV.

5. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'm also thinking that it will be called Apple TV, as the iXXXXX naming scheme is fading, and the new naming scheme is Apple XXXXX.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

based on one product?

7. JeffyTheQuik, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Apple Watch, which is a new product
    Apple TV ( I think this was the first Apple Xxxxx named one of late - I could be wrong on this one)
    Apple Pay, which is a new payment method

It's just the trend from Apple that I'm seeing... Not a huge trend, just a general one.

Edited for new thoughts coming in...

8. jonnyb macrumors 65816

And Apple Music, of course.

9. Izauze macrumors 6502

I agree that a naming update could be in the works. Although it could be as simple as going from "Apple TV" to ":apple: TV" :p

I like the idea that they'd really rebrand it and go for something like Apple Home, but if that was the case, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow this guys website to continue to exist: www.applehome.com

10. thepixelpusher, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

thepixelpusher thread starter macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Here's my guess at Sept. 9th ATV announcement:

• New product name and it's called "Apple Home", "Apple Core" or something else while Apple still sells ATV3 at $69.
    ("Apple Core". Hey people laughed at iPad. It could happen :) )
    • Processor has at least a 64-bit desktop A8X chip with M8 Motion coprocessor, but maybe even more (see *Wild card guess below).
    • SSD storage options of 16GB, 64GB and 128GB with pricing of $129, $249 and $329
    • Physical remote that has a screenless touchpad (no force feedback, yet) with mic hole to talk to SIRI. It will be roughly the same size and be no thicker than the remote that comes with the ATV3.
    • Will run all iOS9 apps that are easily ported to it.
    • Will run home kit apps with compatible devices (heating/cooling, security, etc. Expect to see security webcam market prices drop and ease of use go up as new products flood into the home security space for this)
    • Chassis of product will look more Apple-like with beveled edges and maybe some metal to increase durability and add the Apple style. Still slightly smaller device than ATV3.
    • You'll be able to remotely access this new device over the web and wifi which will let you remotely access all your content on it and also to activate home items remotely through compatible products or retrofitted wall plug devices attached to items.
    • Color choices (metal/plastic): silver/black, gold/black, space grey/black, silver/white, gold/white, space grey/white

Options:
    • New optional $69 Apple made Gaming Controller that looks like the traditional gaming controller with a few extra features to act as a total home remote too.

*Wild card announcement:
    • New Apple Home device will be compatible with Occulus Rift headset and run games for it when it ships. Obviously the processing power (and price) would have to be much higher than listed above. My bet is this would be in the next release for 2016 or not at all.

11. Izauze macrumors 6502

Good stuff. Some of it I know to be true, but the motion coprocessor is something I hadn't considered in terms of how remote gestures could be incorporated into different apps or games. I think a rebranding has a good shot of happening. Storage options are certainly a strong possibility (though I still doubt $129 will get you in the door).

The physical remote is a big wildcard. I agree that it will be touch-based, but probably not screen-based. I could see haptic feedback like the macbook mouse pad. Definitely has a mic/siri. The question will be how well universal voice search is built into the OS. Can I say "play New Girl," have it ask me which episode, and then it automatically starts playback from Netflix, Hulu, or from any other active subscriptions/purchases? What if I ask it to play something from the History Channel? Or to recommend a good documentary? So many possibilities that may or may not be in v1.

And like the first watch announcement, there will be a delay between introduction and launch and then it will get a second demo (in Oct?), which is part of the reason we haven't seen parts leaks yet.

Oh, and one thing that's just about guaranteed: everyone here will whine about price and lack of 4k. And then they'll buy two.

12. thepixelpusher thread starter macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

"Apple TV Said to Have Motion Sensitive Remote Control Targeted at Casual Gamers"

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/28...source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=front

Well that makes one of my guesses right. I had an M8 motion coprocessor guess as one of the specs along with the 64 bit A8X processor (see post #11 above). Think Wii stick controller for the included remote.

I'm still betting the name of the product changes too. Apple TV is too limiting.

13. thepixelpusher, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

thepixelpusher

The new Apple TV (with optional Apple game controller) will have to beat something like this "Sev Zero" game on the Amazon Fire TV with optional Amazon game controller.

14. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

I like your thinking PixelPusher. I like it a lot.

15. thepixelpusher, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

thepixelpusher

I think the product name "Apple Home" might turn out to be true too.

I tried emailing the contact email of the person who owns the www.applehome.com website and guess what!? The contact email was bounced back as "failed", saying there was no one at that email address. Why? If the site is active for his sole proprietor business Apple Enterprises!? I'm wondering if Apple may have bought the domain from this Chris Apple guy. He's something like 66 years old, probably retired now and likely would jump at a pile of Apple bucks for the domain.

16. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

The new Apple TV will be called iWatch of course...Oh wait, that ones taken already...Well the next obvious choice then, iSpud! :D

17. thepixelpusher, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

thepixelpusher

I suppose it could be called "iWatchAppleTV" if it included a charging station for the Apple Watch. :p

Think different. :p "Apple Temple"

18. thepixelpusher, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

thepixelpusher

If Apple's remote looked like this, it would ROCK!

[​IMG]

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Not really, unless their entire gamer base has the hands of 4 year olds.

20. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I can care less about a name, just release a new one is all I care about ;)

21. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

I can see them changing the name of the box, so they can name the streaming service Apple TV. Otherwise what? Apple View?

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think you might be right about that. My gut tells me they will make an announcement, but it will be something like early 2016 release...which means April to them.

23. thepixelpusher thread starter macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Yeah, I think you're right. It'd be too small. Likely, they'll release a full game controller as an option. I really hope so.