Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
New Apple TV with 1.0 Software - Update or not? Which version? Best options?

I got a brand new Apple TV in box (thank God) 2007 model with 1.0 Software.

Its as if it was never touched by the person who had it etc or whatever.

So, I set it up to update Software. It downloaded and then asked me if I wanted to

Update Now
Later.

I chose later because I wanted to make sure I kept the best / favorite Apple TV firmware.

What original firmware do you guys recommend? Especially before I hit the box with the XBMC patchstick.

Thoughts / ideas / appreciated :)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
While a few people might like 1.X software, you give up a ton of great features by NOT upgrading to more recent incarnations- most notably Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

And unless you are going to hack an upgrade, I believe your ONLY choice is to upgrade to the latest version of the software.

I find the latest version to be quite good, certainly (IMO) miles above 1.X.

However, you can easily see for yourself. If your :apple:TV base configuration is 1.0, you can upgrade and try out the latest then restore to factory defaults to go back to 1.0. I'd say try it and see what you think.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I enjoy the latest version as well, it is just there are too many issues related to the well over three year old hardware. Great product, it just needs some attention from Apple and it could be really amazing.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I enjoy the latest version as well, it is just there are too many issues related to the well over three year old hardware. Great product, it just needs some attention from Apple and it could be really amazing.

Oh, don't get me started on the hardware. You're completely right. But if we say much about it, the "Apple is always right in all things" crowd will jump in and start slinging crap like:
  • bandwith as it is, 1080p movies would crash the Internet
  • until there is 1080p content in iTunes, what purpose could anyone have for 1080p hardware in this device?
  • this is exactly what it is meant to be: an iPod for your TV- no more and no less
  • where you going to store 1080p files... they're huge
  • it is perfect as it is
  • you can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p, and/or someone posts the chart to "prove" that point... or better: "I" can't see the difference so "you" can't either... or "I" am happy with it as is, so "you" should be happy with it as is too, etc.
In a nutshell, until the Steve decides that we shall want new hardware, it is ideal for all right now, much like (even the user option for) Flash is useless on the "ultimate Internet device", or Amazon book pricing so low is wrong for us consumers, and assorted other limitations that Apple decides for us... and then some of us endorse as if they are completely right in arbitrarily deciding such things.

I own a bunch of Apple hardware and I completely agree that with a hardware upgrade, this could be a HOT, HOT product. I own one of these "as is" and have gifted a few to loved ones because even "as is" they're not bad. But I could see the crowd that is not Apple zealots buying it in big quantities if Apple would decide to refresh the hardware so that it can be what so many seem to want it to be.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Oh, don't get me started on the hardware. You're completely right. But if we say much about it, the "Apple is always right in all things" crowd will jump in and start slinging crap like:
  • bandwith as it is, 1080p movies would crash the Internet
  • until there is 1080p content in iTunes, what purpose could anyone have for 1080p hardware in this device?
  • this is exactly what it is meant to be: an iPod for your TV- no more and no less
  • where you going to store 1080p files... they're huge
  • it is perfect as it is
  • you can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p, and/or someone posts the chart to "prove" that point... or better: "I" can't see the difference so "you" can't either... or "I" am happy with it as is, so "you" should be happy with it as is too, etc.
In a nutshell, until the Steve decides that we shall want new hardware, it is ideal for all right now, much like (even the user option for) Flash is useless on the "ultimate Internet device", or Amazon book pricing so low is wrong for us consumers, and assorted other limitations that Apple decides for us... and then some of us endorse as if they are completely right in arbitrarily deciding such things.

I own a bunch of Apple hardware and I completely agree that with a hardware upgrade, this could be a HOT, HOT product. I own one of these "as is" and have gifted a few to loved ones because even "as is" they're not bad. But I could see the crowd that is not Apple zealots buying it in big quantities if Apple would decide to refresh the hardware so that it can be what so many seem to want it to be.

Buddy can you stay on topic and help me out here. Stick with 1.0 & then hack with XBMC or update and then hack with XBMC.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I did offer feedback to you already. You already know what 1.0 is like. You can easily upgrade to the latest 3.X and try it out. If you don't like 3.X, you can restore back to factory defaults to return to 1.0.

Once you have a feel for what you like best in the stock functionality, you could then do the XBMC hack and see how much you like it. If that disappoints, you can again restore factory defaults back to 1.0.

Your main question is one about personal taste. So I'll say that I like the latest version of :apple:TV software without the hack installed. But that's just my personal taste. You have ZERO risk in trying every possible combination and seeing what you like best:
3.X
1.0 with XBMC hack (if it will install on 1.0)
3.X with XBMC hack

In every case (as I understand things), you can factory restore back to stock 1.0 if you are not happy with the result. If you get 20 replies favoring each of those options, it will still come back to what YOU like the best. The best part of this reply is that there is little issue in simply trying each and see what you personally like best.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
I don't think there is any advantage with v1 (except maybe retro appeal!). However some hacks didn't immediately get updated after v3 update- so you might wanna check what works now and what doesn't at http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page -

EDIT: just had a quick look myself and it looks like all the main players work on v3 now. Do go and look yourself though - this page has all the best info you will need.

For me though the only thing you need is xbmc. Will read any file and adds support for crystalhd hardware decoding for 1080i support.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
PS: Sorry its 1 am here so I did not realize you had also posted on topic stuff as well :)

I only bought the damn Apple TV for better XBMC hardware compared to the old Xbox classic.

I am definitely putting XBMC latest + Boxee. Question was XBMC with 1.0 or 2.x or 3.x ?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Okay for my .02 upgrade to latest atv software and call it good. Now here is why I say that. Going to xbmc, plex or any other software hack has two distinct disadvantages imho ...

1. When the next atv software update comes along you will wipe out your hack if you decide to update the atv software.

2. Probably more importantly ... while the software player hacks do allow you to play more formats as well as higher res sources (generally by bypassing iTunes) ... they do not take advantage of the appletv's nvidia gpu for video decoding (exception being coupling xbmc with the crystalhd hardware mod which is awesome though a bit buggy afaik) . This means while you *can* play back almost anything you throw at it you cripple it even worse than it is from apple. Typically this means throwing the video decoding load largely on the atv's measly built in cpu and 256 mb of ram.

Again, opinions are like A$$holes ... everyone has one. Take it for what its worth. I have been down both roads. Have fun with it whatever you decide.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Upgrade to the latest firmware. As HobeSoundDarryl has already said; you can easily revert to factory default and get version 1.0 back on it.... What have you got to loose?

I personally have the latest version with ATVFlash installed over the top which contains XBMC and it all works perfectly. Although i don't use XBMC myself, i played around with it and it does seem to work fine with the latest firmware.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.