New Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chillip, Oct 18, 2018.

1. chillip macrumors 6502a

will Apple release a new version this year? I just got the 4K latest one.

2. bumbo macrumors regular

bumbo

Doubt it. Even if they do I don't think you'll miss out on too much by having the 4K - it's still a very capable box

3. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I agree with Bumbo - it's a highly capable box - A10X will be super for a good 2-3 years and with Dolby Vision, Auto Frame Rate changing and Dolby Atmos, it's got everything.

Next September, we'll probably see an update with HDMI 2.1 which will allow Apple to run the UI at 120fps (like iPad Pro) along with games. This will coincide with that option on 2019 HDMI 2.1 equipped TVs.

Apart from Dolby True HD on iTunes films, there's nothing else missing from ATV. It's the best of the best and really has been since ATV2 way back in 2010.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I doubt anyone on this forum knows for sure, and if someone did, they probably wouldn't answer.

I doubt there will be an update for at least a year. Maybe a few years.
    The ATV4K has decent hardware in it. It will be good for a while. It was launched with current hardware.

Unless you can get a really, really good deal on it, I recommend not getting an ATV4.

The ATV4 was underpowered with the A8 at launch. It was rumored to have either the A8X or A9 prior to the launch, and many articles stating that it could be a console killer, with the capabilities of an Xbox 360. With the A8, remote requirement, and 200 MB app size limit, it was no surprise that the ATV4 never became the console killer it was rumored to be.

The ATV4K doesn't have the restraints that the ATV4 had, but it might be too late as any momentum was gone.

5. Cobra611 macrumors regular

Cobra611

I have a question I was hoping to get some help with. I recently upgraded to FiOS Gigabit internet service. My AppleTV 4K is right next to the Quantum router and when doing a wireless speed test, I'm getting nearly 700mbps up and down. My wired test gives me nearly 900mbps up/down. When I test my other AppleTV (the model that came right before the 4K one) I'm only getting 120mbps (wireless) and 90mbps (wired). While I'm not happy with the much slower speeds, I was curious to know why the wired test only maxes out around 90mbps...even slower than the wireless test.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Apple did not include Gigabit Ethernet on the ATV4. This was another complaint about it, and people were just labelling it as Apple being cheap and trying to keep their high profit margins.

To be fair though, for 99.9% of things done on the Apple TV, 10/100 Ethernet would be just fine.

7. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I just want an Apple TV with the ability to use it hands free. Where I can simply hey Siri, open Netflix etc. like Alexa and a fire tv. But I think that would also need some echo type speakers made by Apple. And a focus on that sort of thing.

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I do to. Apple really seems to be getting behind in this area.

I use my ATVs a lot, but I rarely sit down and just watch TV, I always seem to be doing something, cooking, cleaning, projects.... It would be really nice to be able to control the ATV without touching the remote.

Why? Why not use the Siri Remote? An iPhone? A built in mic on the ATV itself?

9. Cobra611 macrumors regular

Cobra611

Yeah, listen...90-120 mbps is just fine for what I stream. Just thrown off as to why is couldn't match my 4K. Thanks!

10. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I'm not sure why the Wifi is that much slower, but it is normal for the Ethernet.

11. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I’ve used the hands free from some people’s fire tv and Alexa echo setup. And it is so much more convenient. You can be cooking or whatever and simply say Alexa open Netflix. And it makes it so much easier. I’m actually shocked that Apple hasn’t tapped into that hands free market yet. But like I said. I think they would have to develop some echo type devices to do so. I’m not sure if they could enable hands free Apple TV just from a software update to your phone and streaming device.

12. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Humans are getting so lazy with all of this hands free! C'mon guys, work those muscles! The more we move our bodies rather than rely on technology to 'do things' the healthier, leaner and younger we'll all stay!

13. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Maybe you missed this:
    I am not saying using a remote is lazy, but when it comes to me, if I have my remote in my hand, chances are I am sitting down doing nothing.

When you have some type of voice control, you then have your hands free to do many other things.