Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyfase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Hi,

Fairly new to Apple TV. I got it about a week ago, its connected via ethernet to my home network and everything "seems" ok except I'm constantly having issues clicking on "Music" and streaming my Itunes Match music.

I know the device has good connectivity I can stream from youtube etc, I can ping it and airplay to it. I can also stream music from itunes match on my macbook.

So I dont understand why the apple TV seems to be constantly losing connectivity to whatever servers it needs to stream the music too - and wondering if anyone has any suggestion.

I've tried restarting it a couple of times, which doesnt seem to make much difference - I could do a restore but is there a bigger issue with ATV and Itunes Match that people have issues with?

Also... just curious to why the apple TV doesnt show up under "Manage Devices" when I look at my itunes account on my macbook, just the 3 other machines I have authorized .....

Thanks

JTStarkiller

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
I've been having all sorts of problems with iTunes Match lately. For one, my Apple TV is only showing about 10-12 albums, when I have about 630. It just picks a couple of random playlists to show too, only a fraction of my actual playlists.

Secondly, my computer at work, which I've authorized with my iTunes account, used to be able to stream my entire library. Now I just get the cloud symbol with the lightning bolt through it, and when I click on it, it just shows the striped cloud symbol, and all of my songs remain grayed out.

I was actually pretty happy with the service at first, but this is ridiculous.

andyfase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
update....

Well after playing around for around an hour it would appear its got something to do with my wired network. As soon as I switch to wireless Itunes Match works fine and I can view and stream all my music... back to wired ... nothing.

Very strange as the ATV has an IP is pingable and cna access you-tube etc on wired network but apparently not access the Itunes servers ...

I really want it on wired as I'm not convinced streaming from my NAS, to my macbook and then back to the appleTV via airplay is all going to work over wireless .....

Anyway of downgrading from 5.1 - it was working fine a few days ago before the upgrade ...

Cheers

Andy

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
iTunes Match has stopped working on my Apple TV 3 since I updated the software.

It just tells me that "there are no songs in this library".

I have tried turning iTunes Match off and on: Doesn't help.

I have tried signing out and in again: Doesn't help.

I have tried resetting the ATV3: Doesn't help.

I'm also using Ethernet, not WiFi. I have read reports elsewhere of people having problems with other ATV features via Ethernet since the software update... I think that the MLB thing doesn't work on Ethernet anymore?

hyndman

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
iTunes Match has stopped working on my Apple TV 3 since I updated the software.

It just tells me that "there are no songs in this library".

I have tried turning iTunes Match off and on: Doesn't help.

I have tried signing out and in again: Doesn't help.

I have tried resetting the ATV3: Doesn't help.

I'm also using Ethernet, not WiFi. I have read reports elsewhere of people having problems with other ATV features via Ethernet since the software update... I think that the MLB thing doesn't work on Ethernet anymore?

Yup, just unhook that cable and all will start to work. Kinda annoying huh.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Yeah, I've just unplugged the Ethernet and set the WiFi connection up again.

Works perfectly...

I hope that Apple fixes this soon. I specifically re-arranged my network so that I could use Ethernet for my ATV3 instead of WiFi as it's better for streaming and AirPlay.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
I've found threads at Apple.com where people are having the same Ethernet problems with v5.1 and iTunes Match, MLB.tv, etc.:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19750621#19750621

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348939?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19745807#19745807

"Roy B" ( royb @ apple.com ) has asked in the first link if people having Ethernet issues with v5.1 can email him about their problem and about their network set up. I've sent him an email, I suggest that anyone else with this problem does the same.

Last edited:

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
just to add that mine is connected via ethernet, and itunes match works perfectly fine.

not much help to you, but suggests that the issue is not affecting everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.