NEW Apple User

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarthBowie, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. DarthBowie macrumors member

    Aug 11, 2006
    Hello to all! I'm new at this board. It is a pleasure to meet all of you.


    I am a college student and I recently fell in love with my friend's black MacBook. I will purchase my first mac (the same model) within the next few weeks, along with an iPod. Unlike most of you, I am in no way an expert on computers. However, I hope to be in time.

    My problem:

    I am debating on whether to wait for the next version of the MacBook (with Merom). I only use my computer to type papers, surf the internet, watch movies, and listen to/download/upload music. Will waiting for the new MacBook be a waste of MY time? Will I benefit from the new Intel chip?


    MANY thanks!
  2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 6, 2006
    While the new chip may offer some benefits, as far as I am concerned, there is no reason to wait. The MacBook will be able to handle what you want it to do with great ease. We don't eve know for sure when and if the Macbook will get the new chip; if you wait one week, you'll end up waiting a month, and then you'll end up waiting a year. You can't always wait for "The next best thing"

    Conclusion: Satisfy your desires and get it now! :)
  3. btgordon macrumors member

    Aug 7, 2006
    Short Answer: Not really

    Long Answer: Merom provides a small speed increase over the current Yonah chips. However, no one really knows when Merom will be integrated into the current apple lineup, even less so when it will make it into the Macbook. The other difference is that Merom provides 64 bit compatability, which you wouldn't really notice I dont think, based on what you say you are going to do with it. I am currently waiting for Merom, but I want to get a MBP, not just a MB.

    Go the apple store and check them out. The current Macbooks are VERY snappy little machines, I think they have plenty of power for you.
  4. eenu macrumors 65816


    Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Welcome. And if that is all you use it for buy the current chip as you will notice no difference
  5. DarthBowie thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 11, 2006
    Thanks to all!


    Should I go with:

    1. 512 MB of memory
    2. 80 GB Serial ATA Drive

    ...or should I go higher?

  6. Thanatoast macrumors 65816


    Dec 3, 2002
    Go for a gig of RAM, instead of 512 MB.

    HDD as you please.
  7. Aperture macrumors 68000


    Mar 19, 2006
    Assuming you aren't going to be using Photoshop, Final Cut, etc that should be fine. Though, some other members will tell you that you should up the RAM to 1Gb to make it even better. I don't own one so I can't verify that for sure..

    Good Luck.. Kevin

    <edit> Beat me! </edit>
  8. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a


    Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    Gig of Ram. You mentioned video. May make a difference.

Share This Page