Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigkingapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
New South Wales
hi, everyone
I am about 50, and new to this forum. last day we had a discussion on Apple watch. I decided to buy a new one. As I am planning for ER, I don't whether it is going to worth me. last day on checking reviews for the watch , I came to read an article which sounds different http://www.aspirefcu.org/blog/life-advice/how-can-your-apple-watch-save-you-money/
I don't know whether it is real or not, I prefer Apple as I was hacked twice from windows.
I am not a tech guy, please help me
Regards
Boris

Reactions: deany

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Did you post the right link? The content does not seem in context with your post.

That said, I am about 50, and I am not an old man. I like my AW, and my dad loves his AW. He's not an old man either.

What is "ER" that you are planning for that the Apple Watch might help you with?

Last edited:
Reactions: jaymc

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
hi, everyone
I am about 50, and new to this forum. last day we had a discussion on Apple watch. I decided to buy a new one. As I am planning for ER, I don't whether it is going to worth me. last day on checking reviews for the watch , I came to read an article which sounds different http://www.aspirefcu.org/blog/life-advice/how-can-your-apple-watch-save-you-money/
I don't know whether it is real or not, I prefer Apple as I was hacked twice from windows.
Regards
Boris

I really don't understand what you are asking here.

That article you linked to definitely has a bunch of facts wrong. For one, the watch itself does not have GPS but rather uses your iPhone to send driving directions.

Anyhow, if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ryanclbryant

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
Montréal, QC, Canada
hi, everyone
Regards
Boris
It depends what you want to use it for frankly, regardless of age. Early retirement or not (congrats!) you could still get something from the watch in my opinion. I love being able to leave my phone in my pocket and check notifications as they come in unless something needs my attention right away.

What I might suggest is take a look through the apps you have on your iPhone, see how many of them have been ported to the watch also, and how beneficial having them on your wrist would be for you. For example being able to switch on/off my philips hue lights from my wrist in a few seconds is a huge benefit from having to find my phone, open the app, set the lights..

Honestly don't take sites like the one in your link with much regard.. The watch won't save you money, but it may make it more convenient to track your spending depending on which apps you use. e.g. I have mint on my phone and on my watch, but the watch won't save me money because I actually get more out of the iPhone app. I believe someone already mentioned that the watch does not have GPS, so if this is a selling feature for you then perhaps wait to see what Apple Watch 2 has to offer.

Short version: sorry - we really won't be able to give you a great answer since it depends on how you're going to use the watch. Frankly it isn't for everyone, but for me the selling point was really the ability to quickly and easily tackle several "phone" tasks without my phone.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
Slightly depressing that anyone would describe themselves as old at 50. Slightly envious that early retirement is an option: I'm in my mid-50s and fully expect to have to work a lot more years yet (probably even more now that we've stupidly voted ourselves out of the EU).

I don't think the watch would work for all old people: in lots of ways it would be great for my mother but she simply wouldn't be able to learn how to use it and she'd find the screen hard to read. But, you know, she's old - 90 - and she doesn't see very well, has arthritic fingers and is easily confused. I reckon her 84 year old friend could manage it but it wouldn't be that useful for her as she's really immobile so the reminders to stand would be an annoying reminder of her frailty.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I'm 54 and have an Apple Watch and love it. My wife and kids joke with me about being the "old man", but I by no means consider myself an old man... its kind of a family joke. I'm more active and fit now than I was 20 years ago.

Regarding Early Retirement, maybe you could give some more context. Some people are wealthy and make ER an option, and others are planning to do ER by living very frugal. For the first group, money is no problem... for the second its a matter of watching every dollar. The article you posted is kind or lame, and I certainly would never buy an Apple Watch as a way to save money. You can buy a FitBit for a lot less to cover the fitness part, and the other things they mentioned are really happening on the iPhone and the Apple Watch just extends it to the wrist... which is not saving you anything. So the premise of the article is just invalid.

Are you already using an iPhone? If not, you need to realize that the Apple Watch is mostly an extension of the iPhone on your wrist and can not function to any great extent without you having the iPhone with you most of the time. There are some basic things it can do solo, but GPS and cellular are not on that list. Its fitness abilities are greater than the iPhone alone, but not better than a FitBit.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I suspect there were as many of us on the down side of 50 who got the Apple watch on release day as those far away from 50. My late twenty/early thirty children didn't get any Apple watch because they've grown up with a phone in their hands and don't wear watches. My teen students can't afford one. Maybe there's are more of us 50+ with them than the younger folks. I've never seen any demographics on this.

At any rate - go get one, regardless of your age. You'll love it.

Reactions: geekiemac and jaymc

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
When I read the thread title, I was thinking someone who's 80+.

50? Wow.
Same thing here ! I'm also 50 and definitely DO NOT consider myself old.
I know a lot of 40+ and 50-somethings who own an iPhone and an Apple Watch and definitely do not see themselves as being "old".

My dad on the other hand just turned 80 and he isn't much into electronic "gadgets" as he calls them (family joke since I offered him a Palm Pilot 20 years ago when he turned 60! :D) So this time, I got him a nice swiss watch for his 80th. He'd definitely qualify as a representative of the "senior generation for whom an Apple Watch is of no use". Other than that... there's no upper limit!

bing69

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2015
Same thing here ! I'm also 50 and definitely DO NOT consider myself old.
I know a lot of 40+ and 50-somethings who own an iPhone and an Apple Watch and definitely do not see themselves as being "old".

My dad on the other hand just turned 80 and he isn't much into electronic "gadgets" as he calls them (family joke since I offered him a Palm Pilot 20 years ago when he turned 60! :D) So this time, I got him a nice swiss watch for his 80th. He'd definitely qualify as a representative of the "senior generation for whom an Apple Watch is of no use". Other than that... there's no upper limit!

I'm almost 64 and has a watch for a year now, my wife has a pebble round....so what is old?

Reactions: geekiemac

pulp46

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
I turned 51 last week and LOVE my 42mm SS Space Black, Black Milanese Loop, AW. It's no wonder... I used to run home from school to catch my hero:

10hls7k.jpg

:D

Last edited:

GeekyGrannie

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
I am 70 and have had my Apple Watch for a year. As the ads say, it's very personal. Here are some reasons why it works for me:

1) I have worn a wrist watch every day since my first Dale Evans watch. The Apple Watch keeps perfect time and never needs to be adjusted for Daylight Saving time or changing time zones. Younger folks who have grown up using their phones to tell time won't appreciate this. I never got used to using my phone for this as it was always buried in my purse. (Back pocket of my skinny jeans? Not Happening!).

2) When you retire, early or not, your daily schedule shifts or falls apart altogether. I use my Apple Watch all the time for this. I use the timer all to remind me to do things, especially taking meds. Works great for appointment reminders, too.

3) I keep a running shopping list on my Apple Watch. If I think of something I need to add, Siri helps me do it on the spot.

4) Fitness is for everyone, no matter what level. Just the Stand Reminder every hour has changed my life. I use the Activity app to challenge myself, even though my goals are quite low by some standards. I now get my 30 minutes of brisk walking every day.

4) If a call or text message comes in, I can handle it much more easily. (Did I mention I keep my phone buried in my purse?)

Good Luck with your ER!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.