Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I just got off a chat with Apple and was told that they releasing new info everyday. This is pretty exciting to me. I can't wait to see what this new info is. Fingers crossed it isn't limited to new watch guide videos.

Just wanted to let other :apple: Watch fans know :)

Attachments

• Watch Chat.JPG
    Watch Chat.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 432

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I just checked. There are 7 more how to videos left to unlock. I have a feeling we will get one of those a day. Not sure what else they could reveal other than that. Of course I would love it if the watch app store was open before I get my watch. I would expect that MAYBE a week out so we can preload our apps.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I just checked. There are 7 more how to videos left to unlock. I have a feeling we will get one of those a day. Not sure what else they could reveal other than that. Of course I would love it if the watch app store was open before I get my watch. I would expect that MAYBE a week out so we can preload our apps.

Yeah, if they let us preload apps that would be awesome.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Yeah, if they let us preload apps that would be awesome.

Your apps are already "preloaded" in the sense that they're on your phone. I doubt there will be an option to select them for display on a watch until you actually have a watch paired.

Multiverse223

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2015
Your apps are already "preloaded" in the sense that they're on your phone. I doubt there will be an option to select them for display on a watch until you actually have a watch paired.

I think they mean to go into the Apple watch App Store and download them to their phones before the watch is available. Frankly it would be good to be able to do this, it would let people see the variety of apps available before it even launches and people can browse to see apps and ideas that might bring them to purchase one.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
I think they mean to go into the Apple watch App Store and download them to their phones before the watch is available. Frankly it would be good to be able to do this, it would let people see the variety of apps available before it even launches and people can browse to see apps and ideas that might bring them to purchase one.

Ah - meaning the pre-curated part of the store that highlights Apple watch apps? That makes more sense. I was thinking more of apps you already have that have been updated to include watch extensions.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Thats funny...those are the same 2 people I spoke with the other day!

Exciting times, i will be sure to check the :apple: site daily!

I just got off a chat with Apple and was told that they releasing new info everyday. This is pretty exciting to me. I can't wait to see what this new info is. Fingers crossed it isn't limited to new watch guide videos.

Just wanted to let other :apple: Watch fans know :)

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC

I understand where you are coming from. However, I think there is a basic misunderstanding here.

There aren't any Apple Watch apps, at least not now. Later, they are planning on releasing an API to allow apps that run only on the watch, but right now this isn't possible.

Simply put, every Apple watch app now runs on the iPhone, and has an extension to output data to the watch. Several apps have already updated their iPhone apps to work with the watch. So, you can get them now, with no waiting.

Right now, that is all we are going to get.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I understand where you are coming from. However, I think there is a basic misunderstanding here.

There aren't any Apple Watch apps, at least not now. Later, they are planning on releasing an API to allow apps that run only on the watch, but right now this isn't possible.

Simply put, every Apple watch app now runs on the iPhone, and has an extension to output data to the watch. Several apps have already updated their iPhone apps to work with the watch. So, you can get them now, with no waiting.

This is not a misunderstanding. Because of the fact it runs on the iPhone and not the Watch is what gives is hope of being able to download the apps ahead of launch. And to my understand (could be wrong here) the iPhone app updates are only to work with the watch app but do not contain the app itself.
Back to downloading apps ahead of launch I see slim chance for it because I don't think Apple will open it up until you have a watch paired but I'm hopeful.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
But there ARE already some non Apple native apps that will be ready. I cannot imagine they are going to preload the American Airlines app on every watch. Watchaware.com has already listed 110 apps that sound like they are ready to go.

I think we would consider anything that gets its own little circle icon on the watch face would be considered an app. Yes, the real processing for these things is probably done on the phone but each has its own interface for display.

I am very excited to get both the AA app and Citymapper for an upcoming trip.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

It would still be nice to see what 'apps' are available for the Watch via the App Store. Right now the only way to know is what Apple chooses to highlight on its website or by going through release notes on recently updated apps. Because in the iPhone apps themselves you'll never see the Watch 'app'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.