New Apple Watch - should I wait for watchOS2 or setup with watchOS1?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by afletche, Sep 17, 2015.

1. afletche macrumors newbie

I just bought my wife a new watch for her birthday. is the setup/usage of WatchOS2 different enough that I should just wait for it before setting up her new watch? as her "in-house tech support" i don't want to have to go thru everything twice if WOS2 is very different from WOS1 - thanks!

2. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

The watch shipped with wOS 1 so you'll still have to set it up with wOS 1 before upgrading it to wOS 2. I also just bought a watch and I'm keeping it in the box until wOS 2 comes out. I'd rather not get used to wOS 1 and then have to learn the changes about wOS 2.

3. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

The changes aren't at all that "drastic"... open your watch and enjoy it. And the changes that ARE here aren't anything to worry about a learning curve.

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Use the watch now. There aren't many changes to "learn".

Plus, you are running the return window and your warranty clock for no reason.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

6. Scarlet Siren macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

Use it now. Because of you leave it in the box you'll think "why did I not start using this sooner!"

7. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I should have also mentioned that I have a Windows Phone right now and that I can't even use the watch until my iPhone 6s Plus arrives on the 25th :)

I originally bought the space gray sport but didn't like the colors so I upgraded 3 days later to the stainless steel. I'll have 24 hours once my phone arrives to ensure that my SS exchange is indeed the watch for me. I spent a lot more time trying on watches when I went in for the exchange and I'm 99% sure I'm happy with the watch.

I setup the original watch on my wife's iPhone and I see the value of the watch so that won't be a problem.

8. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Using it now will give you a leg up on Watch OS2.. You may as well familiarize yourself, and the changes are going to be more additions than substitutions anyway; it will build on what's already there.

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

Agreed. Use it now. There's nothing I can think of ui-wise that replaces what's old, drastically. Just additions rather than substitutions.

I do like the one crown press in 2.0 to get back to the clock from the apps screen, rather that one press to center on clock, and a second press to go to clock - in 1.0.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its a new watch, avoid the beta until you're sure the watch is working as you expect it. If you upgrade and you run into some issues with the battery, stability or apps, you won't know if its the beta OS or the watch itself.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

How do you get to the Home/App screen then?

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

Push...the crown? I'm referring to if you're on the home screen (with all the apps), and you've moved around the screen to find an app - in OS1 hit the crown and it centers you back on the clock. Then you have to hit the crown again to go to the clock screen.

On OS2 it's one press, thankfully. That one press centers the screen on the clock and zooms out to the clock face.