new apple wireless keyboard not working on ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Roofy., Jul 21, 2011.

1. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

i just bought the apple wireless keyboard for my ipad 2and the brightness,ipod controls, and volume buttons arent working. The eject button brings the on screen keyboard and the command buttons work but the none of the F1-F12 buttons work. I read that these are supposed to work on the ipad.

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Try turning it off and on, then resetting it, as in disconnecting it from connection and reconnecting. Usually that does the trick to small errors of that sort.

Then again im not sure, i've only played around with the wireless keyboard on an iPad 1, but it should be the same thing.

3. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

Hmmm...I'm not having any issues with my iPad 2 and my new wireless keyboard; all my functions work just fine. Like the other poster suggests, restarting the keyboard and resyncing to the iPad might be a good idea. Hope that helps!

4. Roofy. thread starter macrumors 6502a

it looks like I may have found the problem....

[​IMG]

I read today that the new MBA's have new keyboard shortcuts for mission control and whatever else. Those are different buttons than my other mac keyboard. Maybe it doesnt work with the ipad now. Prett stupid move by apple.

5. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Uh, are you saying that the introduction of the new MBA's has made your current wireless keyboard not work with the iPad???

6. Roofy., Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Roofy. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not completely, look a the the pic. Those are buttons for mission control and whatever else, just like the MBA. My old mac keyboard has those buttons for dashboard and spaces... The F buttons are different now than before. Why else would they not be working?

the only buttons that arent working are the ones that have been changed. Makes sense to me.

7. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

Very interesting...makes sense, sorta. :( I hope they release an update soon, considering how much they tout the use of the Bluetooth keyboard.

8. TC25 macrumors 68020

So, for these keys, you have to actually touch the screen?:eek:

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

No. The brightness controls (F1/F2), the "play" controls (F7, F8, and F9) and the volume controls (F10, F11, and F12) work fine. Arrow keys work or don't depending on the app. Same with the option and command buttons. (Few apps use those, I believe.)

10. Roofy. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAYBE but i doubt it. It seems like the new keyobard was made with the new features totally ignoring the ipad functions. Hopefully a software update fixes it.

I don.t use my mac anymore BTW. Its old and freezes up all the time. Thats why I got the keyboard... To use my ipad as my computer for now. It works surprisingly well besides the limited keyboard functions.

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I wanted to resurrect this to ask if anyone had determined if this was actually a confirmed issue...? I'm typing on my keyboard now, but have no control of brightness, volume, etc. Oddly, the eject key still shows and hides the keyboard, though... so strange.

12. glen e macrumors 68030

one thing I need is ability to advance the slide in keynote - even under SL that did not work...