Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I use my AppleTV more for music than video. I love being able to sync all my music so I don't have to have my computer on all the time. We never listen to CDs anymore, just the AppleTV (or Pandora or XM), so the lack of local storage is a major negative.

However, there's another feature that's been deleted that is an absolute showstopper for me: no analog audio! Why do I care? Because I run a 2-zone audio setup. As is true with most receivers, my AVR will not output digital audio to zone 2. To use zone 2, I need to use analog inputs. So, right now my AppleTV is connected via HDMI for zone 1 and analog for zone 2 audio.

Furthermore, I was hoping the new AppleTV might be able to replace my Roku NetFlix player. However, I also use that to listen to Pandora. So, once again, the lack of analog audio is a showstopper. (We spend a lot of item on our patio with music playing in the background.)

It's a shame that Apple doesn't offer a $199 version of the AppleTV that offers local storage (with streaming) and all the old connectivity. Either that, or they should keep the old design around as an AppleTV Classic...

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
+1

I can stream Netflix through my PS3, and that's the only upgrade I see for the new ATV. This audio limitation means I won't be getting one to replace my main living room unit.

The good news is that it's much cheaper now to get one for new locations where the analog audio issue isn't an issue. The $99 price point will make it more accessible for new users and existing users to add units.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
However, there's another feature that's been deleted that is an absolute showstopper for me: no analog audio! Why do I care? Because I run a 2-zone audio setup. As is true with most receivers, my AVR will not output digital audio to zone 2. To use zone 2, I need to use analog inputs. So, right now my AppleTV is connected via HDMI for zone 1 and analog for zone 2 audio.

So get the Airport Express for your Zone-2 analog needs.. it's perfect for audio-only purposes.

Otherwise, keep your old ATV - looks like Apple will continue supporting it (see Engadget report for upcoming software update). No one one is forcing you to throw away your old ATV and get the new one ;)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
So get the Airport Express for your Zone-2 analog needs.. it's perfect for audio-only purposes.
I don't want to stream from my computer, so that's no good. Can the new AppleTV stream to an Airport Express? And even if it can, we need to buy another $99 device so that we can have analog audio out?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I don't want to stream from my computer, so that's no good. Can the new AppleTV stream to an Airport Express? And even if it can, we need to buy another $99 device so that we can have analog audio out?

You can buy a optical to analog converter if it really means that much to you.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Can the new AppleTV stream to an Airport Express? And even if it can, we need to buy another $99 device so that we can have analog audio out?

Obviously not, as it has no local media storage. Buy an analog-to-digital converter.. or just keep your old ATV.

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I use my AppleTV more for music than video. I love being able to sync all my music so I don't have to have my computer on all the time. We never listen to CDs anymore, just the AppleTV (or Pandora or XM), so the lack of local storage is a major negative.

I have two ATV's, one in my HT and another in my dedicated music system. While I only stream audio (and streaming photos is what I've wanted for over three years) omitting analog audio outs is problematic for me as well as I also use multiple zones. With the lack of 1080P I'll be sticking with my current ATV's and maybe buy another one as a backup when Apple blows them out on their website.

I see the new ATV as an interm step and maybe as soon as next year we'll see one with more capabilites and with 1080P video.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The good news is that Amazon and other retailers will be selling off the old AppleTV for dirt cheap. If I didn't have one already, I think I'd go out and buy the old one instead of the new.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
You could also stream from your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

My comment about not wanting to stream from my computer was in reference to using an Airport Express to provide analog audio for zone 2, so none of those devices would work (besides, I don't own any of those devices).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.