New AppleTV SW Update

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by macbookguy, Oct 20, 2013.

1. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

Hey all just got prompted to download and install a new AppleTV software update. It gave me three options... Update Automatically, Update Now, Update Later. I picked update automatically. So far it hasn't really made any progress and is on step 1 preparing. Anyone else seeing this?

2. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Just checked and mine says my atv is up to date. So nothing here atm

3. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Nothing here either. I'm on 6.0. OP- did you have iTunes Radio before this update? Because maybe you just didn't go to 6.0 yet.

4. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

Mine updated too,,,,not seeing any changes though

5. cynics macrumors G3

New AppleTV SW Update

I believe this is a bug. I'd highly advice not to update until you read online there is actually a new update.

My story. I got the same update notification so I selected update automatically. Update was terribly slow and finally got a screen telling me to plug my Apple TV into iTunes.

That in itself was a pita for me. Regardless I did it and had no other option but to restore. The restore failed for "unknown reasons". The device was totally inop (brick).

After a run around from best buy I took it to the Apple store and even they were unable to do anything with it.

They issued me a new Apple TV under warranty. Everything has been fine since.

Regardless for some reason it tried to update my up to date Apple TV and somehow permanently bricked itself (assuming the Apple store employee did everything he could).

Needless to say I'm a bit paranoid about Apple TV updates and I won't be doing them until I verify there is 1. Actually an update 2. The update is beneficial to me.

Here is a link to my thread when I had the problem if interested.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652709

6. macbookguy thread starter macrumors regular

macbookguy

After having time to actually play with it it updated me to .65... I had the original release downloaded release day prior.