Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm not a current AT&T customer, so I will be opening a new account with them when I pre-order. Do they just randomly select a phone number for me? I know when you order online from Verizon, they let you select the first 3 numbers of your phone number from a drop down menu with some choices. Does AT&T do the same?

Fuizer

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
I would go into an AT&T store on pre-order day and have your old number ported over to AT&T so you don't lose your number. In the meantime while you wait for your iPhone to arrive they will probably give you some makeshift phone for you to use for the week.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I would go into an AT&T store on pre-order day and have your old number ported over to AT&T so you don't lose your number. In the meantime while you wait for your iPhone to arrive they will probably give you some makeshift phone for you to use for the week.

Would they really give me phone to use until the iPhone came? Also, I don't really care if they port my number or not, I haven't had this number for a long time and it's on a family plan anyway.

Fuizer

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
When I first switched over to AT&T in wait of the iPhone 3G, I went in a week early to make the switch. I told them that I wanted the new iPhone, and they said that they would give me this rinky dink phone, to bring it back on launch day, and they would then give me the iPhone in return for the temp phone. It might be different in every store, but its worth looking at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.