Carrier New AT&T Data Connect Passes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JustCrusin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JustCrusin macrumors member

Has anyone been able to take advantage of the new 3 month $25 for 1GB plan. I threw an AT&T sim into my Verizon iPadAir and all I see are the old plans.

Thanks.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep, did it today. Verizon ipad3

I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary. I kept wifi on since AT&T wasn't registering the SIM to their network, had to wait a while before I saw "carrier settings updated". after that I created a new account and selected the $25/1GB/30day plan.

3. JustCrusin thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm Did you sign up for a new account or where you already a customer?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Signed up for a new prepaid account via the iPad in Settings>CellularData>ViewAccount.

I am an AT&T customer (5 line family cell plan NOT on mobile share) but I did not link the two in any way.

I did notice that unlike the Verizon $20/1GB/30day prepaid plan, the AT&T $25/1GB/3month plan doesn't seem to allow tethering. :(

On the flip side, it seems my iPad with the AT&T SIM now auto-joins attwifi Wifi networks. Neat little side benefit if not an anomaly; I happened to notice it just now and haven't tested it anywhere else. (Looks like the auto join can be turned off, FWIW)

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Curious….are you saying you were able to simply switch out sim cards from one provider to another and it worked?

6. JustCrusin thread starter macrumors member

Will give it a try. Thanks for responding.

Yes. I purchased a Verizon iPad and both T-mobile and AT&T sims also work. I decided to get Verizon since i heard the are very particular about only having their devices on their network. "Technically" all carriers work on the one model of the iPad Air.

7. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I believe AT&T's only prepaid plan that allows tethering is the $50/5GB plan.

8. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I bought an AT&T iPad air. The new $25 1GB plan is part of the reason I chose AT&T because it was a low-cost data plan and lasted three months. I had no trouble activating the plan.

9. macanut macrumors newbie

Will any prepaid AT&T sim card work or is there a special AT&T sim card needed to get the 1gb for $25 over 3 months? Amazon has AT&T gophone prepaid micro sim cards available for purchase. Wondering of those sim cards will work. Also is was there an activation fee when you put in the AT&T sim?

10. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

I think the air requires a nano SIM card, not micro. Though I guess you could try to cut it down. Sorry I can't answer the go phone part of your question.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

I have no idea. The lady at the AT&T store didn't ask which specific data plan I was going to use when I stopped by to get a SIM. No activation fee when I signed up since its prepaid.

BTW, why order from Amazon? Have you been refused a SIM when you asked for one at an ATT corporate store? They gave me one for free, no questions or signing up or anything. (I didn't bring my iPad in, I activated it later on)

12. JustCrusin thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. I walked in, told them what I needed and had 2 nano sims without giving any info in about 30 seconds.

Interestingly enough the new data plans only show up if you choose to sign in as a new customer. If you sign in as an existing customer the only plans that show are the old ones.

13. macanut macrumors newbie

I have an ipad3 so i wanted to see if the AT&T data connect plan would work for that. I went to the AT&T store where I live and they said they can't give me a sim without a voice plan. I showed the person helping me the article where their CEO announced these new data connect plan. So she went in the back to ask someone.

It took too long so I left. I figure i'd buy a prepaid sim from Amazon and give it a try.

14. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Lol get tmobile sim and put it. Even my free 200mb is allowing me to tether.. But I don't do that since I have my iphone to tether with the ipad mini

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I've walked into an APPLE STORE and got FREE sims for T-Mobile, AT&T & Verizon without any issue on numerous occassions. Ask them nicely and tell them your wife/GF or whatever needs one for an iPad. I just got an AT&T one yesterday from Apple Store because the AT&T morons here in NJ want to charge $25 for a "special" iPad sim for my VZW rMini (no, I did not tell them it was for a VZW mini).