New AT&T iPhone 5s work with tmobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by K1ngkev1n1, Apr 10, 2014.

1. K1ngkev1n1 macrumors regular

My sister got her daughter a phone line with AT&T but didn't want her to have a new phone so I said I'll pay the discounted price for the iPhone. Can I use this with tmobile? (I currently have Tmobile) wonder if I can just put my SIM card in it. And still get lte.

2. patt2k macrumors regular

1) buy unlock online
    2) pay ETF on that iPhone and take it to T-Mobile so AT&T will unlock it for you.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, that phone will be locked to AT&T for another 2 years till the contract on it expires.
    And then you can ask them to unlock it.

4. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Your going to have to use a 3rd party to get it unlocked to be used on T-mobile.

5. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Yep.
    You can try and see if you get an email approving the unlock request here https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition . The last time I did a request was for my iPhone 5 and I got an email within seconds actually and approved the request although they denied me previously a few months back because they wanted proof I didn't upgrade since I had bought my 5 at full retail.
    Worth a shot to see if possibly you slip through, though it's unlikely. Good luck.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Offcourse worth a shot but your situation is the exception and not the rule.
    Can't always bank on getting lucky.

7. K1ngkev1n1 thread starter macrumors regular

1) ill look for an unlock

2) my sister is keeping the line for her daughter she just didn't want her to have a brand new phone. So no need to pay ETF. I just need it unlocked.

----------

So an unlock service on ebay for like $40 would work fine? just curious if you guys knew about that.

8. K1ngkev1n1 thread starter macrumors regular

Could i activate the iphone with a new att go account? or does the phone still need to be uinlocked?

----------

DO you know of any reputable sites or ebay sellers?

9. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Since it's AT&T you can youse AT&T go phone or straight talk.

Don't think there are any on eBay anymore. I've used swiftunlocks.com and chronicunlocks.com.