Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K1ngkev1n1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
My sister got her daughter a phone line with AT&T but didn't want her to have a new phone so I said I'll pay the discounted price for the iPhone. Can I use this with tmobile? (I currently have Tmobile) wonder if I can just put my SIM card in it. And still get lte.

patt2k

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
My sister got her daughter a phone line with AT&T but didn't want her to have a new phone so I said I'll pay the discounted price for the iPhone. Can I use this with tmobile? (I currently have Tmobile) wonder if I can just put my SIM card in it. And still get lte.

1) buy unlock online
2) pay ETF on that iPhone and take it to T-Mobile so AT&T will unlock it for you.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
No, that phone will be locked to AT&T for another 2 years till the contract on it expires.
And then you can ask them to unlock it.

Yep.
You can try and see if you get an email approving the unlock request here https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition . The last time I did a request was for my iPhone 5 and I got an email within seconds actually and approved the request although they denied me previously a few months back because they wanted proof I didn't upgrade since I had bought my 5 at full retail.
Worth a shot to see if possibly you slip through, though it's unlikely. Good luck.

K1ngkev1n1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
1) buy unlock online
2) pay ETF on that iPhone and take it to T-Mobile so AT&T will unlock it for you.

1) ill look for an unlock

2) my sister is keeping the line for her daughter she just didn't want her to have a brand new phone. So no need to pay ETF. I just need it unlocked.

----------

So an unlock service on ebay for like $40 would work fine? just curious if you guys knew about that.

K1ngkev1n1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Could i activate the iphone with a new att go account? or does the phone still need to be uinlocked?

----------

Your going to have to use a 3rd party to get it unlocked to be used on T-mobile.

DO you know of any reputable sites or ebay sellers?

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Could i activate the iphone with a new att go account? or does the phone still need to be uinlocked?

----------

DO you know of any reputable sites or ebay sellers?

Since it's AT&T you can youse AT&T go phone or straight talk.

Don't think there are any on eBay anymore. I've used swiftunlocks.com and chronicunlocks.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.