Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamilD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I mean this site is unknown and fairly recent. Trust it? I don't think so, unless they predict something successfully and without err.

JamilD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I really hope that $30 plan [Rogers Canada] will come... as soon as that arrives, my iPhone is coming. But the $400 ECF (Early Cancellation Fee) is really putting me off. I feel more secure with the AT&T $175 prorated.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I would be fairly shocked... those AT&T plans mean fairly significant revenue losses for AT&T over the contract life. The iPhone is selling briskly, and even if it slows, why on Earth would they do that? It'd be much more effective and lower cost for them to incentivize the phone purchase and leave the monthly fees alone. If anything, maybe adding a single plan below the cost level of what they have now, but even that seems unlikely....

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I would be fairly shocked... those AT&T plans mean fairly significant revenue losses for AT&T over the contract life.

I'm note so sure that adding 50-150 minutes to each plan while keeping them at the same price points amounts to a "significant revenue loss" for AT&T. On the other hand, it might be just enough to entice more people to sign up in a market that is generally being squeezed. Sacrificing a little revenue in order to psychologically get people to feel they're getting more for the same amount seems like a good idea right now.

The iPhone is selling briskly,

It appears to be, but the number one complaint is without a doubt AT&T's rate structure.

Anyway, while these plans would be kinda nice, I'm not holding my breath. The source definitely doesn't have real cred yet and it doesn't look like anyone else is picking up the rumor. Also, it's getting a little late in the holiday shopping season to unveil new pricing.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
at&t doesn't really lose all that much when adding more minutes. They have so many free periods and free stipulations for their minutes that it's no big deal. They will never drop the data prices, though, because they make a mint on that.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
i did notice ATT added a 1500 text plan. When i signed up max was 500 then you went to unlimited.

Save 5 bucks! :p

JamilD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I don't really see any way that AT&T would lose money on this. They'll have me as a new customer if they introduce these.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm note so sure that adding 50-150 minutes to each plan while keeping them at the same price points amounts to a "significant revenue loss" for AT&T.

Do those plans not include data or something? I thought the lowest available plan for the iPhone right now was $70/mo with 450 minutes, vs. the 500 minutes / $40 plan listed in the rumor? Maybe I'm not understanding the rumor correctly? If $70/mo is going from 450 min to 500 min, at the same price, sure, I could see that. I could not see them dropping the price $30/mo and adding minutes.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I think this is very plausible. The real expense is the monthly service over time. This could really increase sales and mkt penetration imo.

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
Do those plans not include data or something? I thought the lowest available plan for the iPhone right now was $70/mo with 450 minutes, vs. the 500 minutes / $40 plan listed in the rumor? Maybe I'm not understanding the rumor correctly? If $70/mo is going from 450 min to 500 min, at the same price, sure, I could see that. I could not see them dropping the price $30/mo and adding minutes.

You have to add the $30 for the data plan or the $45 for the enterprise data plan, those plans (and the current AT&T plans) do not include the data. You pay a base charge for minutes and an add-on charge for data.

theHunter

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
What most don't relize is when at&t drops a price it usually means that they are taking something away (not adding) most likely they might be dropping the mobile to mobile minutes on the family plans that the plans have now.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You have to add the $30 for the data plan or the $45 for the enterprise data plan, those plans (and the current AT&T plans) do not include the data. You pay a base charge for minutes and an add-on charge for data.

Ahhh, okay, fine. I've heard it expressed this way, but it's not the way it's currently advertised on AT&T's website. This is how the rate plans appear on their website, so I assumed that the prices in the rumor compared directly....

20081207-ATTiPhonePlans.png

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
Ahhh, okay, fine. I've heard it expressed this way, but it's not the way it's currently advertised on AT&T's website. This is how the rate plans appear on their website, so I assumed that the prices in the rumor compared directly....

20081207-ATTiPhonePlans.png

On the bill and on the online billing through AT&T it's shown differently. It's just bundled in the advertisements and on the AT&T site, probably because the data plan can't be removed anyways. I'm guessing in the rumor it's shown like that because these rate plans effect all phones and not just the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.