New at this... Apple care.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ciscomata, Oct 1, 2014.

1. ciscomata Suspended

ciscomata

I've never got Apple care in my life, I always just bought an iPhone and that's it but with this sexy new device that is HUGE and I think I might break it. So can anyone tell me what Apple Care does before I spend $100 on it.

2. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

It extends the standard warranty to 2 years and gives you the option to have the phone serviced for accidental damage at a cost of $79 (2 times only).

3. ciscomata thread starter Suspended

ciscomata

So if my phone cracks they will repair it for $79 if I have Apple care? What about it getting wet and all that?

Also do they cover theft?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

5. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Doesn't cover theft/loss. Still better than any other insurance tho. Mobile insurance is good to have for theft/loss but if you read the fine print, it does say they have the right to send you a replacement phone of a different brand and/or model. At least that's what it says on AT&T. Not sure if they ever have done this but they certainly can.

6. ciscomata thread starter Suspended

ciscomata

So wait if I have AT&T and I have the Plus and it get stoled or something they would give me something lower if they don't have the plus in stock at the time?

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you have Apple care +, that does NOT cover lost/stolen. So if that ever happens you are SOL.

AFAIK, carrier offers insurance for 9.99 a month, and for AT&T it's about $200 to replace a lost/stolen device. I heard that after every 6 months, the price drops.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Would phone insurance and Apple Care + be redundant for the most part? (excepting the theft coverage)

9. Shadowbech, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I think having both is just redundant. I cancelled the insurance on my line and got Applecare + instead. Why pay more?

To the OP: You have 60 days at the time of your iphone 6 purchase to add the apple care +. I'm not sure about the insurance that the carrier offers. Last I heard, you can add it anytime within the 30 days of purchase.

Edit: Yes it's $6.99 for the theft/loss coverage and additional 3.00 (last I checked my at&t bill). So 9.99 total monthly.

If you are concerned about theft/loss, then I would just go with the insurance instead of applecare +.

10. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

$6.99 a month for theft/loss coverage is fine with me. Also, I don't think they would replace your Plus with something else but the fine print says they can if they want

11. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

AppleCare + for accidental damage and add a rider to your homeowners or renters insurance for theft and loss.

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Would the rider cover theft/ loss due to a burglary at your premises? Are you covered if you are robbed off the premises that you are purchasing renters insurance for?

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I am sure that not all polices are the same, but mine covers those things

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You have to also look at whether it covers the full replacement cost or an amortized amount. Homeowners and renters policies vary in that regard. If the policy covers only a depreciated amount and accompany that with a high deductible, then it isn't very useful as phone insurance.

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

With the company I have (and with many) the deductible for the phone rider is much lower ($100) in my case. It does not have the same deductible as my standard homeowners policy ($2500).

Good point about checking for what replacement cost it covers.

16. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Usually it's if you have an old phone that they can't replace anymore, as in they might replace your 4 with a 4s.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I know with the renter's policy I had, the deductible was $250 for anything. I switched plans because beyond that it only covered a depreciated amount. While some items may be worth less than when they're new, their actual replacement cost is another matter. It sounds like yours is okay though.