New Ati 5770 Arived today and fitted! but?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vapor matt, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Vapor matt macrumors regular

Hi all

My new Ati 5770 arrived today and i have fitted it along with my new monitor, now i have noticed the fan more on the 5770 than the GT120 now on a PC you have fan control options within the driver and interface.

is there anything like that on OSX as i cant find any adjustments for the card at all.

matt

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

GT 120 is 50W part while ATI 5770 is 108W so it's not a surprise that there is more fan noise. I'm not sure is there any utility to lower the fan speeds, I know you can increase them

3. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

Just curious. Does the system feels faster with the ATI Radeon than the old Geforce 120?

4. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

The system dont really feel any faster to me, its no different at the moment but ive been calibrating my monitor so will let you know if i notice anything.

So where do i control the fan then? cant find any kind of fan control for the ati.

one thing i will say is i have always thought Ati cards even on PC based systems had much better colours, not so washed out as Nvidia cards. but that could just be a pc based observation.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

There is no kind of GPU software/fan controller for Mac pro graphic cards, except for Zeus. But it doesnt support fan modding yet.

6. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

Well thats cool, at least i know now! thanks for that save me keep looking

7. goMac macrumors 603

Generally it's a bad idea to mess with fan settings for gpus, especially if you're turning them down.

Usually the only time it's a good idea is to turn them up to prevent overheating.