New ATT customer. Wondering about the activation process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netddos, Jun 11, 2010.

1. netddos macrumors regular

I will be jumping over to ATT from Tmobile when iPhone 4 is released.

My father will also change from Verizon to ATT so we can be on Family Plan to cut cost.

My father only needs enormous amount of voice service so we are getting--

For me:iPhone 4, 2100 family voice, 2GB Data, 200 text

For dad: Sony Ericsson W518a(this was the only decent free phone with no data option I could find from ATT..any better options? ), 2100 family voice, NO DATA, NO TEXT.

Now my question is...If I preorder iPhone 4 on the 15th, and pick it up on the 24th....how will my dad get his phone? I'm planning to pick up iPhone 4 at the apple store and I doubt they will carry Sony W518a on them...

How will this work? Comment from anyone with experience of ATT sign up process would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

2. fuzion macrumors 6502

I would probably do as follows:

1) You go get the iphone first, and port your number from T-Mobile to AT&T
    2) You both go to an AT&T store and port his number from Verizon to AT&T

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

^^This. Open the line as an individual account and then go to an AT&T store and change it to a family plan and add his line. I did this (granted, there was about a 6 month period between me opening up an individual account and converting it to family plan with 3 more lines).

The only thing I don't know is if you can make the change immediately after opening up the individual account at the Apple Store. You may need to give it a day or two to let all of AT&T's billing systems update. Not sure though.

4. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

why not just go to att now and pick up the phone for you dad then when the iphone goes on sale just go to the add a line option.

5. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

Humm that's actually a good idea lol...Wonder why I never thought of it.

The thing is though won't he have to pay the individual plan for the first month if we go this route?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes

7. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

So when I go to the Apple store to pick up iPhone 4, I create an individual account? While I'm doing this transfer my current # to the new iPhone 4.

Then, go to ATT store(1-2days later) with dad's Verizon phone and have them attach his new ATT account to mine? While we are at this, go pick up his Sony phone as well.

Did I get this right?

8. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

9. jrafi1 macrumors newbie

I work for at&t. you can convert an individual line to a family talk plan at anytime. So if you wanted get ur dads phone today and on june 15th pre-order the iphone and then on june 24th ull be added to his line. The only negative is that ur plan will have pro-rated charges.

Goodluck!:)

10. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

Hi jrafi1,

Glad to have a real ATT employee writing some inputs for this :D

Can you elaborate on what you meant by prorated charges?

Exactly how will it be prorated? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.. I just want to get this right the first time. :):apple:

11. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

simple if you start a rate plan in the middle of a month they will only charge you a portion of the full rate plan. if you switch rate plans they will charge you a prorated rate for the time you on one plan then another prorated rate for the time you are on the other plan.

12. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

Ah...I see I see....

Thanks! :)

13. jrafi1 macrumors newbie

What he said is correct! P.S demand for iphone 4 is SUPER high..so make sure to pre-order june 15th.