New att unlimited plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrmike316, Mar 11, 2017.

1. mrmike316 macrumors regular

Can someone explain the difference between the first att unlimited plan that att came out with right after Verizon ,and the ones that they released like a week later with tethering.I switched to the first one that came out but are the tethering ones better or cheaper it's kinda confusing....TIA

2. rijc99, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Post what your plan costs before taxes. Also the features you are getting, how many lines you have and if you have Direct TV or not.

I believe your current plan is $100 without tethering? If so, I think the new/current unlimited plan could be cheaper depending on the number of lines. The new unlimited premium is $90 with tethering for 1 line.

Old plan.
    1 Line: 100
    2: 140
    3: 180
    4: 220 but 180 after 2 months

New premium plan.
    1 Line: 90
    2: 145
    3: 165
    4: 185

3. jwlbel macrumors regular

It really depends on how many lines you have. Correct me if I am wrong :) I think all the current unlimited plans are cheaper except for people with 2 lines (like myself) and it is actually $5 more expensive. The "old" (the one only offered for like a week) was $140 with no tethering and my FAN applies and the current one that includes tethering is $145 and no FAN discounts apply but you can get a discount if you autopay with a debit card/bank account, no credit card.

4. nerdgenius macrumors newbie

Every line after the 2nd line is $20 per line. Same applies for tablets and hotspots. Autopay saves $10 a month and $25 off any TV service DTV, Uverse TV and DTV now per month.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The unlimited plan offered after Verizon was actually just the one that's been available for over a year now but no longer required DirecTV. The new plan is cheaper for 1 line and 5+ lines, but $5 more expensive for 2-4 lines unless you have DirecTV, in which case you save $25/month, making it cheaper for any number of lines.

In my opinion, even if you have 2-4 lines and don't have DirecTV, there's no reason to stay on the old plan. Being able to tether, even if you rarely if ever do, is worth an extra $5/month.

6. sallenthornton macrumors regular

I'm on the 40gb shared plan with 2 phones and still undecided whether to upgrade to the unlimited. It would cost an additional 6 dollars and I seem to lose my 15% dod discount.

7. jwlbel macrumors regular

Yes, but that unlimited plan, even though you don't need DirecTV now, they still honor FAN discounts. So for 2-4 lines with tethering it is $5 more and no FAN.

8. mrmike316, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017

mrmike316 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies I have 4 lines that would make it $180 minus my fan discount of 17%, so it would be a little under $180 with the fan discount. So as I understand it the one with tethering is $185 for 4 lines with no fan discount,I do have Directv as well.....and I think I read somewhere that the data speeds were only 3 Mbps or something like that for one of the plans

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The 3Mbps is for the unlimited choice which is $30 a month less. But also no tethering.

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

You'd get $25 off DirecTV, which would be like this plan costing $160 for four lines. Compare that to what you pay now after your discount.