Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmike316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Can someone explain the difference between the first att unlimited plan that att came out with right after Verizon ,and the ones that they released like a week later with tethering.I switched to the first one that came out but are the tethering ones better or cheaper it's kinda confusing....TIA

Reactions: clunkmess

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Post what your plan costs before taxes. Also the features you are getting, how many lines you have and if you have Direct TV or not.

I believe your current plan is $100 without tethering? If so, I think the new/current unlimited plan could be cheaper depending on the number of lines. The new unlimited premium is $90 with tethering for 1 line.

Old plan.
1 Line: 100
2: 140
3: 180
4: 220 but 180 after 2 months

New premium plan.
1 Line: 90
2: 145
3: 165
4: 185

Last edited:

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
It really depends on how many lines you have. Correct me if I am wrong :) I think all the current unlimited plans are cheaper except for people with 2 lines (like myself) and it is actually $5 more expensive. The "old" (the one only offered for like a week) was $140 with no tethering and my FAN applies and the current one that includes tethering is $145 and no FAN discounts apply but you can get a discount if you autopay with a debit card/bank account, no credit card.

nerdgenius

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2017
Every line after the 2nd line is $20 per line. Same applies for tablets and hotspots. Autopay saves $10 a month and $25 off any TV service DTV, Uverse TV and DTV now per month.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The unlimited plan offered after Verizon was actually just the one that's been available for over a year now but no longer required DirecTV. The new plan is cheaper for 1 line and 5+ lines, but $5 more expensive for 2-4 lines unless you have DirecTV, in which case you save $25/month, making it cheaper for any number of lines.

In my opinion, even if you have 2-4 lines and don't have DirecTV, there's no reason to stay on the old plan. Being able to tether, even if you rarely if ever do, is worth an extra $5/month.

sallenthornton

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
I'm on the 40gb shared plan with 2 phones and still undecided whether to upgrade to the unlimited. It would cost an additional 6 dollars and I seem to lose my 15% dod discount.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
The unlimited plan offered after Verizon was actually just the one that's been available for over a year now but no longer required DirecTV. The new plan is cheaper for 1 line and 5+ lines, but $5 more expensive for 2-4 lines unless you have DirecTV, in which case you save $25/month, making it cheaper for any number of lines.

In my opinion, even if you have 2-4 lines and don't have DirecTV, there's no reason to stay on the old plan. Being able to tether, even if you rarely if ever do, is worth an extra $5/month.

Yes, but that unlimited plan, even though you don't need DirecTV now, they still honor FAN discounts. So for 2-4 lines with tethering it is $5 more and no FAN.

mrmike316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the replies I have 4 lines that would make it $180 minus my fan discount of 17%, so it would be a little under $180 with the fan discount. So as I understand it the one with tethering is $185 for 4 lines with no fan discount,I do have Directv as well.....and I think I read somewhere that the data speeds were only 3 Mbps or something like that for one of the plans

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the replies I have 4 lines that would make it $180 minus my fan discount of 17%, so it would be a little under $180 with the fan discount. So as I understand it the one with tethering is $185 for 4 lines with no fan discount,I do have Directv as well.....and I think I read somewhere that the data speeds were only 3 Mbps or something like that for one of the plans
The 3Mbps is for the unlimited choice which is $30 a month less. But also no tethering.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
You'd get $25 off DirecTV, which would be like this plan costing $160 for four lines. Compare that to what you pay now after your discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.