New ATV 3 owner. UK.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by StuartMoore, Nov 30, 2013.

1. StuartMoore macrumors regular

Hello all.

First time ATV owner here. Purchased it from Aberdeen Airport duty free for £77. Looking forward to setting it up when I return to the UK on the 11th.....

Any advice, tips, etc etc that you wise people on here can give me would be great.

Thanks, Stuart.

2. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

I personally love my Apple TV, as a UK user as well.

Sadly theres currently/never will be a Jailbreak for ATV3, so theres not a great deal that needs to be done.
    I still have my fingers crossed for a few basic apps like iPlayer and 4oD to arrive, till then I mirror off my Macbook/iPad.
    But enjoy, its a great device!

3. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

So mirroring is basically putting what's displayed on your iPad/iPhone and airplayed to your TV!?

4. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Yeah thats it! Whatever is on you iPads screen will get mirrored and the same goes for a, 2011 onwards Mac? I think its 2011. Might have to double check.

But with the Mac you can also use extend display, which does exactly what it sounds like. I normally put 4oD etc onto my second display while I work on my Macbook Air. But thats just me!

5. anarti macrumors regular

StuartMoore - regards from Aberdeen:)

I got mine at Aberdeen apple store for £83 during the black Friday.

I wish it has more apps for BBC, 4OD, Spotify etc.

You can't go wrong with it. Worth every penny for airplay itself.

6. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Same here, I recently bought an ATV after long deliberations whether I really need it. Needless to say I never looked back and am very happy. For anyone thinking of buying, I got mine on amazon with quite a good discount aswell.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

We have two...One in the lounge and the other in our bedroom. I'd recommend Netflix as the content selection is wide, from movies to documentary programmes...all for £5 a month.

As has also been mentioned, you can play your music, and your own encoded movies on the device too. A great little tool to have which I'm sure you'll find out when you get yours up and running.:)

8. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all.

I'm looking forward to setting all up pre Xmas. Should come in handy over the festive period!

:)

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

For me, the main uses of the AppleTV are Home Sharing for music (all my music is in iTunes, streamed through the AppleTV, using my iPhone/iPad as the remote control. It's a much nicer user-interface than most streaming options.), and Airplay.

For pretty much anything you can 'push' the content to the AppleTV. So, if you're playing a game, you can play the audio through your home sound system. Or playing a video, just push it to the TV. You can turn on Airplay mirroring (which shows the entire iPhone/iPad screen on the TV), but it's at the iOS device's resolution so isn't always ideal. I haven't tried Airplay mirroring from a Mac - it's only available from a few recent Mac models.

I use Netflix a lot too, but that's available on pretty much everything these days. Airplay and Home Sharing (with the Remote app) are the key features, IMO.

10. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

11. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Excellent just purchased Appl t.v. from Currys

'The Office' on t.v. now from icloud library:)

Going to enjoy Apple t.v:)