New ATV and Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Glideslope, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Anyone think the new ATV will be controllable from ones Apple Watch via a BT or Wi-Fi connection as a Stand Alone? I'm pretty sure the new ATV will have BT.

Would it need a iPhone, or iPad?

Not going to happen? :apple:

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The only way this would even be close to useable is if Siri is the interface to control the Apple TV. But considering how horrible Siri is at recognizing voice input, I don't have much confidence.

I happen to have a Fire TV box and the remote has a button to push that allows you to search via voice. It works perfectly every time and actually use it. If Apple can copy this feature in the new ATV remote, it would be better than using a watch IMO.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is a remote app for the Apple TV on iOS and I still use my universal remote because it's more convenient

4. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

But would it be if your remote was on your wrist and two swipes away?

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

The strong rumors about the Apple TV 4 says it will have Siri. So the question is, how will the aTV hear you? From across the room? It's possible, but why not simply allow the iPhone, iPad, AW to serve as a close-by mic? All of these will be on the same network, so it's easy peasy.

"Hey Siri... Show me Tom Cruise movies..."

And just like that, a list of titles available to rent or buy appears on your screen.

"When Blacklist starts, play it."

This could very well be what Jobs meant by, "The easiest interface ever." (Paraphrasing)

Since Siri is on the AW, there'd be no reason to exclude it.

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

Wasn't it already announced that the Apple Watch will have a remote app? I'm not sure about Siri though.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133...-it-as-a-remote-for-all-things-apple-and-more

7. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

8. Glideslope thread starter Suspended

Glideslope

9. TallManNY, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Definitely. There is already a remote app for the phone. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to access the remote app on the phone through the watch and obvious reasons why the watch is easier to get at than the phone. Now technically we might be connecting with our phone and then our phone connecting through wifi with the ATV, but the effect should be that we are controlling our TV with our watch. Since this won't need to run off of BT to the ATV, I could see this being something that works with current ATV. All we need is an update to the Remote App.

10. cardfan macrumors 65816

Still faster to use harmony remote. Using the watch might be ok in a pinch but it'll run the battery down and take longer. That's the problem with apps on the watch. Takes too long, runs battery down.

11. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

The current AppleTV has BlueTooth (you use it when setting it up, where you just put your iPhone on the ATV, and then it automatically gets set up with WiFI, AppleID etc.). So it'll just be a software update to the current gen, and then you can get an app for the Watch to control it.

12. mbhforum macrumors 6502

New ATV and Apple Watch

Maybe to turn on an activity. But if you can tell Siri "put on Peppa the Pig" when you have a 2 year old screaming for it and the new ATV or even older one can be that intelligent, then it's way quicker than using a remote with menus.

13. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

Ive tried to use the remote app, tried the Harmony App, tried my Denon App...nothing beats the real thing.

My Harmony Ultimate solves every one of my needs. I just wish the battery lasted more than a year.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm skeptical to be honest.

- No keyboard on watch means dictation or Siri is your input method.
    - How are they going to translate the gestures to the watch platform? I'm not sure how convenient it would be to swipe up/down/left/right on a tiny screen.

15. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

The Watch will 100% be able to be used as a remote with the remote app, but there will definitely be a remote designed for it, and you'll be able to use the remote app on iPhones, iPods, and iPads too

16. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

So maybe not as a full replacement, but things like a simple pause/play/ff/rewind/menu selection? Easy and convenient.

17. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius