Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
I am off to the Apple store this a.m. to buy my ATV. Been looking around on the net, and everyone seems to be using different pieces of software, or services to improve how they use their ATV.
Mac the Ripper, Handbrake, iPlayer Grabber, Patchsticks, Boxee, XBMC: These are all new to me.

I intend to buy US TV series from iTunes, copy my iTunes library across from my iMac, rip some of my DVDs, (Blu rays not sure about. Seems complicated.), and try and copy some UK TV programmes from BBC iPlayer, 4oD, ITV player if possible.

Which pieces of software, or services do you recommend that I get to enable me to do these tasks? Please bear in mind that I am in the UK.:confused:

GilesM

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2008
While I am not answering your question, I am in the same position as you.

I have had my :apple:TV for two days, and so far I found I needed handbrake for transferring DVD's do a :apple:TV file (works great by the way)
Only done two so far, but may do more.
Mostly I have iMovie home video's to put on it and iTunes music collection, all works great.

As for additional software, I see people use 'Plex' and 'Boxee' but I am a little concerned about putting extra software on the :apple:TV, I do to want to turn it in to a brick.

I will be watching this thread with interest!

thornden4

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Apple tv Software

I have had Appletv for 2 years now and use it quite a bit. I have also loaded it with ATV flash. This is totally reversible and you can remove it at any time without 'bricking' your device.

Advantages of ATV flash:

You are not tied into iTunes as you can play all media formats and transfer them on and off.

You can add external storage which is useful if you have a large library.

Personally I am going to get a mac mini but I do love my Apple tv.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Well I have bought it. Its sitting here in front of me. I now have to read through the manual, to see what's what, and hopefully will be up and running this afternoon. :)

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Agree, Handbrake is essential. ATV flash is a nice idea, after I installed it I found out why Apple have not [yet] enabled web browsing. It works, especially if you use an iPhone / iTouch as a remote. just.

I have since uninstalled ATV Flash and, to their credit, I got an immediate refund. Maybe I will try again with the next release.

Other than that - nothing.

Chris

Kcissem D

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
I am off to the Apple store this a.m. to buy my ATV. Been looking around on the net, and everyone seems to be using different pieces of software, or services to improve how they use their ATV.
Mac the Ripper, Handbrake, iPlayer Grabber, Patchsticks, Boxee, XBMC: These are all new to me.

I intend to buy US TV series from iTunes, copy my iTunes library across from my iMac, rip some of my DVDs, (Blu rays not sure about. Seems complicated.), and try and copy some UK TV programmes from BBC iPlayer, 4oD, ITV player if possible.

Which pieces of software, or services do you recommend that I get to enable me to do these tasks? Please bear in mind that I am in the UK.:confused:

blu ray ripping is not complicated is you pay us 49,99 for Pavtube's Blu ray ripper (comes in mac or windows flavor). it is an all in one tool except for metadata editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.