New ATV update causes video to freeze while audio continues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bryan85, Sep 29, 2013.

1. bryan85 macrumors regular

Both of my ATV's have the latest update and both are doing this. I will be watching content from HBOGo or iTunes, and the video will freeze while the audio continues on. It seems to happen every 15 minutes or so. I am also getting the iTunes store isn't available quite often. Is anyone else having the same issue? :confused:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yup. It's been happening to me tonight and it's making me unhappy. I was watching an episode of Homeland and it happened probably 5 times and an Apple TV restart didn't help.

3. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

I did that as well. Restart, verify it had the latest update. Reboot cable modem, router, and switch. Still the same issue.

4. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

same here. tried rebooting and even hooked up my atv 3 through a wired connection and it still freezes up.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's hard to know if it's iOS problem or if it's just a streaming iTunes service issue. Though, the service page shows no problems.

6. creativet macrumors member

creativet

Having the same issue on all 3 ATV's in house. Rather annoying. The only thing I've figured out to make it work is to hit start from beginning and then advance forward by choosing a chapter, then rewinding or fast forwarding to where it froze up.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I was just stopping play, going back to the menu and then starting again and telling it to resume from where it last played.

8. creativet macrumors member

creativet

I tried that a few times also, and the issue continued. I almost feel I should downgrade the ATV's for now. This 6.0 update is awful buggy.

9. DSL Steve macrumors member

10. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Good thing I am not the only one having this issue after updating my ATV 3 to 6.0, I noticed it with Netflix at moments the video freezes and fast speeds where audio stops matching the actors lips and one other issue I noticed I get weird tiling only on the top and yes I did check all my connections if they were loose and they were not so it seems this might be a update issue, hopefully enough people report for Apple to fix it soon because it is really annoying.

11. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Interesting

I have had no issues even after the 1st 6.0 update. Hope I haven't jinxed myself now.

What ISPs do you guys have? Could it be they are not playing nice with apple servers???

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's still happening to me too. I use Charter Cable for an ISP.

I just downloaded all the shows I wanted to watch to iTunes on the Mac and streamed it over my LAN so that I wouldn't have to deal with this problem... for now anyway.

13. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

Charter for my isp. never had this problem before the ios 7 update

14. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Well I got Charter also and I know in my area they are going all digital starting today not sure if that is the cause of the Netflix problem. One thing I wish Charter would allow us to have access to HBO Go on ATV I do not understand what their problem is but the reasons I heard one is because people will consider cutting cable which does not make sense because you need to subscribe to HBO through your cable to get HBO Go and the other reason this one from Charter is that they having issues for authorizing on Apple TV and they need Apple to fix this. This is Charter we are talking the cable company with many excuses.

15. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I had a problem when I turn my TV off - as to just listen to music from Apple TV and then turn my TV back on, I will lose the picture. I can control the Apple TV from the remote or remote app, play music, movies, etc.. but no video outputs. I have to restart the Apple TV.

Never had an issue before the latest update.