New Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile is out!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Jessica Lares, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Pro subscribers of the desktop version can sign in and get the Pro features, those who have the free Essentials can sign in and get those features, or you can use the basics for free.

OR, you can pay $3.99 IAP to get the Pro stuff.

It's also now a universal app.

Not bad. iCloud doesn't seem to be working right now though.

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I noticed that earlier today. I will try it out to see how it compares to procreate. With proper stylus support it the iPad would be amazing.

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Procreate is definitely better. If only they made a desktop version!

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

How is the desktop version of Sketchbook? Are you using a Wacom Digitizer? I would still think that is difficult to use becuase of the disconnect between you and your content.

5. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have an Intros Pen & Touch. Sketchbook is definitely better on the desktop. It is not optimized for your fingers or the bulky styluses at all.

I wouldn't say you get disconnected. When you're using the pen, you're watching your "brush" or whatever go across the screen, and it feels natural once you get into it and soon you forget that you're pushing around a pen on a board. And the benefit from using a small tablet that's only a little bit larger than your hands is that you can get from the far left to the far right with very little movement. I can sit here all morning and draw, while I get tired within two hours of using my Tablet PC or even the iPad.

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

7. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

8. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Can you share work between Sketchbook Pro and Procreate?

I assume they both use their own propriety file type, so the only way would be export as a PNG file between the two.

9. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I haven't tried to mix the two yet. They use their own propriety formats, yeah.

10. moworks2 macrumors member

I have a question please. How big are the files that procreate or autodesk sketchbook mobile produces? I mean are they 72 dpi and 600x600 pixels, or 240 dpi and 5000x5000 pixels, something in between?

I'm just trying to get an idea about the files for print. How's the quality?

I've also looked at photoshop sketch by adobe and i've never found info on file size, print quality, etc.

I'm doing research about all this before buying my first ipad and jumping in. Thanks for any info.

11. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They save as 72DPI. Sketchbook goes to 2800x2800, Procreate 3200x3200. Sketchbook Ink is vector based and can be blown up to whatever, but it is very limited.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

13. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You're welcome.

Oh, and just to try it, I attempted to open a 9,999 x 6,711 file from the desktop version.

It told me that the size wasn't supported "yet". :p

I've only printed on 4x6 index cards, I've just looked and a 2048 by 1536 image from Procreate has to be at 40% of it's original size to fill an entire letter size page.

14. moworks2 macrumors member

thanks so much for this info Jessica...

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Have you ever tried Inspire Pro?

I got it while free, but haven't used it.

16. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I got it while free too, haven't touched it either. :eek: I don't find all that IAP impressive for a $10 app! I imported 70 custom brushes I found on the forums into Procreate the other day... (totally worth the hassle, heh)

17. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Oh, wow! The Procreate forums? I need to check that out. Thanks! :D

18. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, I highly recommend it. Some very good stuff and information over there. Blows your mind at what people are doing without a proper stylus.

19. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Thanks for recommending that! I could only briefly browse it tonight, but I already saw some unique utilities. Most of all, I'm inspired by the work I saw others post even (like you said) without a proper stylus. I had nearly given up on that.

20. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

Don't be fooled too easy! Many posters come up there showing a photorealistic drawing and claim "it's their first time drawing" ever. Remember the Morgan Freeman scam from ProCreate?
    Without a proper stylus? I don't understand that either - I use to call their forum the "Hex Jaja forum".

Of course, there's some interesting stuff there too - but you're in for some digging IMHO.

----------

Been there myself, until drawing in ProCreate became testing brushes. Guess I'm distracted too easy.
    So I've trashed them all, and now learn to be creative with just a few. Key word is "learn" :D

21. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hahaha, do most people there use a Hex Jaja then?

I start with a pencil and don't mess with the other brushes until afterwards. Otherwise I'd probably be "testing" too.

Man, this thread was totally about Sketchbook to begin with and we've been going on and on about Procreate. Whoops! :rolleyes:

22. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

You're right Jessica - sorry for going off topic here.
    Know what, I'm about to download the AC SketchBook Mobile free version and play with it ;)

23. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Yeah, sorry about messing up your thread.

Back to Sketchbook: I've used it tonight and honestly, I'm not all that impressed. On my iPad 3 the canvas started out as a small rectangle (though I could zoom in), I was notified that the app would send usage data to Autodesk unless I went in to several setting menus to stop it, and I wasn't crazy about the tools.

I attempted to draw mainly with the pencil, but the digital marks were pixelated for some reason. It didn't seem to be the same quality as Procreate or even the older version of Sketchbook Pro (which I used a lot). I prefer their Sketchbook Ink product.

24. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ha, you guys don't have to apologize to me. I just know the mods here would have issue.

Did you set up a custom canvas? The tools are better once you tweak them.

I did have that problem with the pencil on my iPad too. I used to use it on my Kindle Fire 1st gen and I don't remember dealing with that...

I think they've given up on Sketchbook Ink, which is a shame. They did do an update the other day, but it was to add compatibility to iOS 8.