Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Not sure, but has anyone else noticed the new Azureas 3 update? It is amazing what this new Azureas has become, I can't wait for updates to the HD content.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Azureus 2.5 was bloated enough. 3.0 is like a fat man at a buffet. CRAM MORE IN!

BitRocket's lightweight but unstable, so that's out. Good thing Transmission is about to be unbanned from private trackers, there's a terrible dearth of decent BitTorrent clients (read: µTorrent) on OS X. And I'm not confident the port of µTorrent to OS X that's been promised with its new ownership will be worth running either.

Once Transmission is unbanned, it'll be the best option for most people. If they could fold transport encryption in there, it'd be the best hands down.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
^They need to do selective downloading as well. So you don't have to download everything if you're only looking for, say, one song off an album.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
^They need to do selective downloading as well. So you don't have to download everything if you're only looking for, say, one song off an album.
PEX support really helps now. I have to agree that selective downloading is a must though.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Don't worry folks, there will be a fork. No need to worry about future releases of Azureus. Stick with 2.5 for now.

I guess I just don't get it. Azureus is what I open my .torrents in. Safari is where I get my .torrents. iTunes is where I store my completed torrents.

Why the bloody hell would I ever want to use Azureus for all that?? :confused:

Who knows? But it will be gone soon. :rolleyes:

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Forget about Azureus. Xtorrent, Transmission & BitRocket are the ultimate BT clients.

Only if you are the noob of all BT noobs - otherwise, all three fall well short of what is expected from a full-featured client. Of course, if you don't know what you're missing, well...

Retired
May 16, 2006
Don't worry folks, there will be a fork. No need to worry about future releases of Azureus. Stick with 2.5 for now.

I guess I just don't get it. Azureus is what I open my .torrents in. Safari is where I get my .torrents. iTunes is where I store my completed torrents.

Why the bloody hell would I ever want to use Azureus for all that?? :confused:

Who knows? But it will be gone soon. :rolleyes:

Using XTorrent for finding AND downloading torrents is a big plus for me. I really want selective downloads though...

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Using XTorrent for finding AND downloading torrents is a big plus for me. I really want selective downloads though...

If XTorrent could scour several of the top notch private trackers it'd be OK for some things, but those public sites are Kazaa-esque in their quality at times. Regardless, selective downloads are the deal-breaker. And most CPUs purchased this decade can handle the Java-bloat without too much trouble.

If you are on the Pig, the 'Noid and a few other private boards, there's little XTorrent can find that I'd trust over most.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
version 3.x.x.x is banned on a lot of trackers.
Why would that be? :confused: Sans the Vuze stuff, how is it any different?

Anyway, I'm glad there will be a branch for a version that doesn't include that silly Vuze stuff, even though it can be pretty much turned off completely.

Forget about Azureus. Xtorrent, Transmission & BitRocket are the ultimate BT clients.
Not until they have selective downloading at least.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Seems like a lot of folks here have mixed feelings for Azureas, but I think it is one of the best clients around. I especially like that they added Vuze to it, because now I have a central location where I can get HD trailers, plus I like how it keeps everything I downloaded in a nice specific section. I know the original Azureas did the same thing, but I still like the overall look of it.

Now many of you may disagree with me, but ever since I came from a Windows world and used uTorrent, I don't think I can ever expect to sustain speeds at those level on the Mac platform. I remember seeing speeds of 2Mb's on a few downloads, and I have yet to see that again, especially on a Mac. I tried using Bootcamp & WinXP and installing uTorrent on this Mac, but for some reason I still cannot get performance on par with what I had before. Who knows, it may be the system or it could be my ISP (I have Comcast).

Also, selective downloading is the clincher. The other clients need to get on the ball and add this feature before I even consider trying their client.

One thing I was curious about after reading above, which private sites have banned Azureas? This would be the first I ever heard of it.

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Seeing as Transmission is open source, there is nothing stopping him from doing this himself.

I've talked to Dave Watanabe about this and he made it seem like he was waiting for us (Transmission guys) to implement it.

And in the spirit of open source software, if he does do such a thing I would hope he would give back to the libtransmission source.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I've talked to Dave Watanabe about this and he made it seem like he was waiting for us (Transmission guys) to implement it.

Ah I see. Thanks for the update :).

And in the spirit of open source software, if he does do such a thing I would hope he would give back to the libtransmission source.

That would certainly be in keeping with the spirit of the project. I did not realise you were part of the Transmission team :).

torabora

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
Where can I get Azureas 2.5? I can't download it off their site but if I choose 3.0 then the download comes up I guess they want people to get 3.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.