New Backgrounder update, How do I disable badges?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NSK123, May 23, 2009.

1. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

I just downloaded the new update for backgrounder and now it seems that all the apps I have running in the background has a special backgrounding badge on them.

which is fine but the Phone icon has a constant badge on it because it can't really be disabled which is annoying, is there any way I can remove badging or just disable the badge for the Phone icon?

2. pauliphone macrumors regular

I've upgraded and I don't have these badges - weird.
    Are you running a theme through winterboard? Could it be something on the theme?

3. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

No they have added badges for backgrounding apps, read the changelog.

I don't use winterboard for anything other than a weather widget everything else is themed manually by replacing the original files, The reason why your badges are not showing might be related to having a theme installed. :p

Anyways it's a newly added feature, check my attachment a screenshot of my springboard with the badges in action where I have Ipod and phone running.

so, back to my question.. does anyone know if I can disable badges for the Phone Icon?

Attached Files:

4. Foamer macrumors regular

I want them disabled too. I would have figured they would have at least given an option to disable them. I think they are ugly, and I don't need them to show me what apps are running. I really hope they release an update in the next day or so to take care of this issue, or maybe someone can post a source where we can get the previous version without these horrible badges. I'm kinda pissed that they started popping up after the update.

5. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

exactly my point.. I have sbsettings installed with processes så I have a process list there where I can just close backgrounded apps.

at first i thought i was a bug, but after closing ipod and having the badge disappear i realized what it was.

badges are unnessesary imo

6. Untaken macrumors member

I liked the addition of the badges until I realized there was no option to turn them off. Lame! Anyway, I did a little digging and for now you can make them go away by navigating to /Applications/Backgrounder.app/images and renaming badge.png to something else (badge.bak for example). Respring and they'll be gone. If you want them back, just rename the file back to badge.png.

Note to developer: It might be a good idea to not only give an option to turn off the badges but also an option to leave the badges on for everything EXCEPT stock apps (like Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod, etc).

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i agree with the badge removal. i also believe that backgrounder has messed up my processes because when clicking on mail or phone i get a black screen for a second..... does anyone notice this? it has been happening since they started upgrading every 3 4 days a couple weeks ago..

8. Foamer macrumors regular

Thanks a ton for the tip on how to get rid of them

9. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

An update has been released where you can now toggle badges :)

Pretty great that the community actually lisens unlike what apple is doing.

Now if they could just release a version where you can deselect toggles for specific applications like Phone as it can't be closed anyways, then the toggling system would be great.

10. Foamer macrumors regular

Yep, just noticed that. Awesome!

Now if they could (like you said) make an option to disable the badges only on the phone/email/ipod, etc... icons, that would be great. Pretty much an option to disable only the apps that come with the phone, or better yet, an option that lets you chooses what apps have badges.... There is only one app on my phone where I would actually want one (and thats because the app frequently crashes without any sort of notice). A nicer looking badge wouldn't hurt either.

I know, I am being picky. I have to thank the developer of backgrounder though for the extremely quick action. You don't see that from Apple or many other developers.

11. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

All I did was open the Backgrounder icon...then under preferences hit global. Switch the Badge thing to off.

12. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Thanks, just updated Backgrounder and was like, where did those badges come from?? I disabled them using that settings and all is mostly right with the world. :)

13. redskinsfan macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity what are the Backgrounder options set? I put the Indicate status via 'Badge' to 'Off' in the Backgrounder application. Upon exit they are gone but if I go into something like the 'Phone' the badges are back even though the Badge setting is to Off.

Just an FYI I have the Backgrounding method to 'Backgrounder'.

Under Backgrounding state - Enable at Launch is Off. Stay Enabled is On.

Under Miscellaneous state - Fallback to Native is On. Minimize on Toggle is On.

Incidentally I changed the Stay Enabled to Off and it still did the same thing with the badges coming back after I went into an app.